24 - Thank you

"Ms Abblesboom?" The secretary's voice sounds from her office as I pass by the door

How does she even know my name? There are a few thousand students in here and she knows my last name?

"Yes?" I ask confused.

"Right on time. The Dean just asked me to go find you. He needs to talk to you in his office."

Panic settles in and I can't help but blurt, "What? Why? Is something wrong? I have been doing good, I haven't lost my scholarship, have I?"

"The only thing I know, dear, is that he wishes to see you. Right this way," she says before extending her hand, directing me to the Dean's office three doors down hers.

I hesitantly knock on the door before a deep voice tells me to come in. Twisting the knob, I creak the door open and peek inside.

"Ah, Ms Abblesboom just the person I wanted to see."

"Is something wrong, Mr Santos?"

"Oh no, darling. Just sit down, will you?"

I frown but still do as he asks.

"I called you up here because the school has received a double invitation for the Gallery exhibition that will happen in a few days. The owner decided to grace us with this present and asked to see the best students'  portfolios. My dear, you were the chosen one." His eyes slant due to the smile, cresting crinkles in the corners and showing off his real age.

"What?" I ask incredulously.

"Mr A-," the dean hesitates and then clears his throat. "The patron wanted to sponsor gifted students. You were the chosen one." 

"Really?" 

I am still having a hard time believing.

These types of things usually don't happen to me. The good luck thing only gets so far with me.

Having the scholarship when I finished high school was the best luck I could ever ask for. Lately, Dylan has been making me feel lucky to have someone to brighten my days. But this...

"You can take a plus one with you, dear. I believe this will be amazing for your career, you could make connections in your speciality," he beams.

This is weird. 

I am used to having people judging me on my alternative way of dressing and yet, ever since I set foot in this college, everyone that works here has been nice to me. The staff and especially the Dean.

Even when I came to learn more detail about my scholarship he just told me that everything was taken care of and all I needed to worry about was keeping my votes high.

It's been too easy and at first, I did suspect but almost two months later and I am still here.

"Okay," I accept. "Thank you so much for the gift."