58 - Half of me

It's been five minutes in silence

Right after I asked him to talk, he gave me a faint nod and we all got into his parent's car. When we got to Jake's house, Liam gave him the key so he could bring me home.

We're right outside my dad's gate, right next to each other, gazing at the outside in silence. 

There's so much I want to tell him, but I don't know where to start.

"I'm sorry," we say at the same time.

"Please," I ask. "Let me get this off my chest." 

He nods before pushing his body up and positioning it to the side, facing me. I keep my eyes locked on him and the moment he lifts his blue orbs to me, the tension inside thickens considerably.

"It was never a question of believing you," I start slowly. "I never doubted you. But my mind was running thousands of miles a second while frozen in time at the same time. I spent most of the day running around like a headless chicken, trying to make sense of things. By the time I finally calmed down and my mind caught up to me," I stop to inhale shakily and look down at my hands. "I was too ashamed to go to you." 

His exhale is loud, bringing my attention back to him. Shiny eyes stare back at me, filled with emotion and intensity.

"Then you wouldn't talk to me and I thought I'd give you the space for you to get into a better mindset but at school... I think I lost my hope then." 

He doesn't answer right away, looking at me with that same fierce expression, like he's looking for something. When it stretched to the point I start to feel uncomfortable, I look away. 

Outside, it's dark and eery. The closed window of the car prevents me from listening to the wind rustling through the bushes, making it even harder to endure. When I look back at him, he's still the same and I deflate.

He's still not going to forgive me.

"Yeah, that was it. I can get in by myself now." 

Grabbing my bag, I get out of the car and head for the main gate. The walk is short but enough for my arm to be grabbed roughly before I can press the button of the intercom. I am spun around just as harshly, coming face to face with Dylan.

His other hand comes up and attaches itself to the side of my neck, fingers spreading into my scalp. His eyes close just as his forehead presses against mine.

"I thought you didn't believe me," he whispers. 

His tone is so low and broken it makes my eyes sting with tears. I've hurt him so badly but all I can think about is how much I've longed for his touch, for this proximity.

"Thinking you'd left me..." His shaky breath his my face and I can't help but open my eyes to look at him. He's oozing pain from everywhere. From his words, expressions, from his pores. Hell, it's coming out of his soul.