33 - Birthday Boy

As I slip back to consciousness, I feel myself snuggle more into Dylan's hold

"I could wake up like this every fucking day." 

The huskiness in his voice vibrates in my ear, making me shiver. 

"Awake already?" 

"Hmm, for a while."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" 

Dylan's left shoulder shrugs while his hand keep its circular moves on my belly.

It's still hard to believe this. With the experience life has given me, finding someone like this is just like finding a needle in a haystack. It's difficult and rare and yet... Here he is. I was led straight to him - at a time of my life where I had lost hope of finding something good for me, other than my work.

Well, if we are to be specific, he fell straight into me instead but still.

Men who are not afraid to care and show they care, men who are transparent about what they want and what they feel is not something you see every day but I am starting to feel grateful I have found it. Him.

Even if there's a nagging in the back of my head, reminding me that nothing lasts forever.

It doesn't.

I mean, look at my parents. My entire childhood was a lie, they were a lie.

My life was a lie.

Is this a lie too?

"What are we?" 

Dylan freezes at my sudden question.

"I mean, we're together all the time but we're not... together. And after yesterday and watching Abby and you, I..." I take a deep breath.

I am not usually the not confident type but it's not like I can control what I feel. Not completely at least.

"Baby," Dylan calls, turning me around to face me. "What's bothering you?" 

"Nothing. I just... Clearly, I am clueless about dealing with these kinds of situations. Things were never too stable or transparent with Dean, except for the fact that he'd make it up to me financially. And after my parent's shit and my mom's toxic behaviour, I am afraid I am too damaged. I might not be able to give you what you want - the stability, the openness. And Abby right there.... she-"

I am cut off by the press of his lips to mine. His hand cradles the side of my face, pulling me to him and as his tongue licks my lips, asking for entrance. 

We mould together, in a mess of tangled limbs and let the bodies do the talk for us. The tenseness slips away, even if for just a few moments. For as long as he makes me forget.

Because he does. He makes me forget that there is a world out there. 

"I want you to give me whatever you can, never more. As long as you stay honest, I have a feeling we'll be just fine," he murmurs.