31- Weekend

"They're here!" 

"They're here!" 

My mom's voice sounds from the inside of the house, loud and clear, while we get out of the car. Luna's automatic reaction is to come up to my side, her body tense, letting me know she's nervous. So, I intertwine our fingers and I give her a reassuring squeeze.

The door opens even before we reach it and my mom comes rushing down with her arms open. Her stomach is more prominent now, already visible, even if it only looks like she's bloated. Her eyes are almost shut due to the huge smile she's sporting and I gently let go of Luna's hands to give my mom the hug she always wants from me.

However, he rushes right past me, engulfing Luna in a bear hug and leaving me completely hanging, and dumbfounded. I look around me in shock and notice my dad and uncle Jake's reaction - muffled chuckles. 

Oh fuck, no. 

I am my mother's favourite!

"I was hoping you'd come, I am so so happy to have you here," my mom gushes, still ignoring the hell out of me. "For the first time in years, I am not the only woman around here."

I am not sure if I am flattered that my mom feels this attached to Luna already, only after meeting her once, or offended that she was never this warm with Abby, even if she has known her since she was five.

Curiously, I can't help but feel relieved, because being the mommy's boy I am, my biggest wish is to have the girl of my dreams get along with my mom.

Luna's eyes are wide, cheeks flushed but she is still hugging my mom - tight. Her eyes are trained on me, screaming "What do I do?" and I can't help but chuckle. Willow's effect on people is my favourite, the way she makes even the less affectionate people comfortable baffles me.

Ok, time to save my girl.

"You know I am still here right? Your firstborn kid? Your favourite child? The prodigy of the family?"

"Oh shush, I have had you for eighteen years now," she dismisses me. "You're old news."

I gasp, offended while the other two traitors crack up, laughing at my expense.

"But I still love you," she comes to kiss me - finally -, but it only lasts a few seconds because she attaches herself back to Luna's body, linking her arms together.

"Let's go have lunch, you must be starving. Jeremy is still in school but Wilder is so excited to see you."

"You've been replaced, son." My dad's hand finds my shoulder, patting it in pity.

It's weird, for the first time in eighteen years, to have my mom prefer someone else to me, but I am not bothered in any way. If there's someone I don't mind sharing the attention with it's her. And knowing how bad things are with her mom, makes me so warm on the inside, knowing that my mom can give her some of what she's missing.