017

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

017. sea

The very next day, Kai was back in the headquarters, seated in his office with his feet on the table, holding a newspaper as he tries to keep track of Luffy's progress.

It all depends on time, the momentum, and the surroundings. In order to make a move for him to slowly accomplish his ambition, he would need to be patient. He would need to learn how to easily adapt— in which he was getting a hang of already.

The door to his office flung open, in such an early morning.

Garp welcomed himself in, he doesn't seem to have any other business except annoying the hell out of the only grandson who chose to join him.

"What is it now?" Kai casted him an eye before he turned back to the newspaper he was reading. It was all about the shit that the Morgans write, he should pay them a visit every once in a while and show them how to write better content that doesn't involve all the Celestial crap.

"Well, as you may already know, Sengoku is preparing you for big things." Garp started, knowing not to eat in Kai's office since the boy just hates having ants litter around the place.

Kai narrowed his eyes, turning back to his grandfather.

He was already aware of Sengoku's delusions. And he wasn't exactly wrong, Kai was sure of his own abilities— he had the confidence and brain to lead the Marines. Only if he had the desire to do so.

But unfortunately, he can't see himself leading this kind of organization. He may be able to mend it but he wasn't that devoted to the Marines. He had far more greater plans. And it would be a waste to use his capabilities in a place like this.

He hated the marines, to he truthful. They were on par with his hate for pirates, although pirates were meant physically— he hated the marines for their mentality, their mindset. Their goals were merely a 3-pointer in a court.

Even finding the one piece was a larger goal than their dream to fight the bad.

"I'm well aware of his intentions." Kai nodded.

"Then, you'll be fine, won't you? He's asking you to risen up the bounty you've taken from pirates' heads. He wants you to be on the same footing as Akainu and the other Admirals."

Kai didn't like how he heard it.

"Same footing?" It felt ridiculous. They weren't even close to be standing the same platform, and yet, Garp was making it seem like the Admirals were on a whole different league.

He was looked down upon, he didn't like it. It may be from Garp himself but he was sure the others thought about it like that as well. He wasn't too happy to hear it.

"That may be true." Kai frowned. In experience, he had his own. But the Admirals did face a lot more pirates than he did, since all he did was selfishly empower himself, he didn't bother to find better opponents. But that wasn't a problem, he'll make the experience for his own.

He'll take on Sengoku's suggestion of roaming the world and increasing the heads he has taken, it would be a good way to keep track of the world personally as well.

"I'll start in a week." Kai decided, turning towards the window, still seated on his spinning chair.

"Should I tell your men to ready your ship?" Garp was happy to hear that Kai was willingly improving.

"There's no need." Kai shook his head. "I won't be sailing by ship."

And sometimes, Garp just had to question his grandson's sanity. But he was always left to the answer that Kai took after him after all.

He felt a grin etch on his face.

AKAINU

AKAINU

000000. suspicions

Just like he said, Kai and the Admirals were never close.

They barely had any interaction at all for the past few years that Kai worked in the HQ. One of the reasons was that they were simply met with a packed schedule that had no room for curiosity, and that the admirals just avoided him at all cost.

Upon hearing a prodigy enter their ranks, they were intrigued. At his age, they weren't even half as impressive. And yet, Kai existed, becoming a vice-admiral within a blink of an eye at below the age of adulthood.

Then they realized he wasn't just a simple prodigy, this kid they let in was an absolute genius.

Having caught Sengoku's eyes, have the fleet Admiral himself root for him— this wasn't just an ordinary kid. Kai mastered Haki like he was just learning how to walk, got the holds of rokushiki as if it was learning how to recite the alphabet— he was simply beyond a world of their own.

Does that mean he was better?

As of now, they were stronger. But who knows what would happen tomorrow or the day after that? They couldn't always be sure. Kai already proved to defy the means of logic.

And on why they avoided him, it was simply because they were always busy and that they just don't feel like meeting with the young boy. It would be far too incomprehensible, and from what they heard, he was a freak.

A clean freak to be exact. It would take their whole energy for the day just to make a little talk.

That was why they haven't suspected him to be that person who appeared in their dreams years ago.

However, this will be a new day for one of the Admirals. Akainu, to he more specific.

He found himself entering the fleet admiral's office, a frown on his face— the usual look he has on. But today, he wasn't particularly in a good mood. Word just got out and he was willing to confront Sengoku about it.

"Ah, Akainu. What brings you here?" Sengoku spoke as soon as Akainu stepped foot, and he didn't even need to turn around to know.

"Don't play with me, Sengoku. What are you planning?" He demanded in a deep and hoarse voice, words taken from the bottom of his throat.

Sengoku didn't flinch, he was far too calm and collected. He wasn't that easily intimidated, he was fleet Admiral for a reason.

"Planning? Akainu, that's what a fleet Admiral always does." He replied cheekily. Turing around to face the Admiral who was less than happy to hear his reply.

"What are you intending to achieve? To send Garp's grandson out to the sea for what reason?" Akainu narrowed his eyes, his tobacco lighting up furiously.

"To explore the world and see it for himself, is there anything wrong with that?" Sengoku casually informed. "He's still young, he has enough time to gain experience right before he settles in the headquarters."

Akainu didn't like his tone that held mischief and secrets.

But seeing how stubborn he was, he figured that he won't get anything from asking Sengoku directly. He'll just have to discover the roots of his intentions.