037

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

037. surgeon of death

The auction rolled on like usual days in Sabaody Archipelago, except -- the place was just a little tad more packed with the leaked information of exotics present in the bidding; not to mention, the visiting pirates casually passing time.

Kai knew what everyone was here for.

Celestial Dragons, as expected, were there to make their daily purchase with money made out of taxes (Kai wonders just what the limitation of their knowledge is to not know that their wealth comes from financially capitalizing on common citizens whom they torment).

The civilians, well -- they're either there for their sick pleasures or are simply bored and curious enough to play the role of bystanders.

The merchants, as expected are there to seek products to purchase and resell tenfolds the price.

The pirates, simply bored and curious as well. There to pass time as they figure ways where to go on from there as they have reached the last island upon the border to the New World.

Kai didn't even have to speak about the Marines, anyone with a fully-functioning brain can figure what they're there for.

But he supposes he could be a little helpful.

Hint: become minions.

Because, well. Though the Marines often refuse to vocally acknowledge it, they were underdogs.

They were justice on the sea, the prime nemesis for pirates. But they were also only under the jurisdiction of the World Government that easily outsolds their faculty.

Kai could not wait to leave such an organization.

Anyone who is considered hired is basically a slave.

"Camie!"

How pleasant, such a heartwarming reunion.

On the stage was a mermaid, nothing peculiar supposedly but still enough to impose as an enigma to many. They all had this weird fascination by the way they reacted. Gasps and excited chatters? Kai could only find ridicule in how small they all operated.

But Luffy seemed relieved yet conflicted to reunite with her.

Kai could never understand relationships. Yes, he knows the fundamentals and any aspect of how it functioned -- but he has never truly known how overwhelming it could be to set a person back; he means he has never experienced it fully before.

The closest sentimental relationship he had was with his previous yakuza boss who's connection with him was very brief and cut short.

Though they were hardly close enough for him to consider as overwhelming, he just felt the great sense of being indebted to him for how he saved him from a life of potential poverty.