Chapter 47

AVERY'S FACE WHITENED, AND her shoulders sank. Doctor Stella instantly stood up and signaled for Avery to relax. Ethan's face flushed, and his right hand fisted. Before he could walk toward the door, Avery took hold of his left arm.

"Ethan, please. Stay with me," Avery said.

Doctor Stella looked at Ethan. "Stay here, you guys. Let me talk to him."

Ethan brought Avery into his arms. He was throbbing with anger. How dare David come here to surprise Avery! He hadn't taken his word. Ethan had been nothing but pleasant to him! Avery felt Ethan's shuddering hands. Then, slowly, she pulled from his embrace and clasped his hands to hers. 

"Don't worry about me. I just felt angry with him. I'm not stressing out. It hit me that he was too immature to come here without contacting me first. I don't even know how he got my schedule." Avery sighed aloud.

"The same reason I'm pissed off right now! What was he thinking coming here to surprise you? We're all professionals! For fuck's sake! I was expecting him to call or text you, at least!" Ethan bit his lip.

Avery kissed Ethan's knuckles to soothe him. "I knew I would have to talk to him, but I hoped it was on my chosen day and time. Not here and not like this."

Ethan squeezed her hands. 

"We will make it your day and time of choosing, my love. Not here. If you give in to him now, he'll think he can intimidate you."

When the door opened, and Doctor Stella came in, their eyes concentrated on her. She gave Avery a half-smile and handed her a name card.

"That's his. I asked him to leave and wait for your call. I told him I won't allow him to see you now since he's causing discomfort to my patient." Doctor Stella said.

"Did he leave?" Ethan asked.

Doctor Stella nodded. "I guess so. I saw him in the elevator and instructed the guard to call me if he wouldn't leave the premises."

Feeling relieved at her sister's declaration, Ethan hugged her. Doctor Stella was surprised by her brother's show of emotions, causing her almost to lose her footing. "Hey! Are you thanking me or trying to knock me down?"

"Thank you, my dear sister." Ethan placed a kiss on Doctor Stella's forehead. "You have saved me from punching him!"

"What a sweet brother you are, huh? If you only knew how to hug, you could be perfect! You almost took the life out of me!"

Avery mouthed thank you to her future sister-in-law. Her smile was the brightest, seeing Ethan calm and happy. But deep inside, she knew the time would come. No Doctor Stella or anyone could stop David anymore. Though Ethan promised to protect her from her past, David's insistence on being part of her present was a fight she needed to face and battle alone. So the sooner, the better, she uttered to herself.

***

"Are you sure about this?" Ethan asked as he kissed Avery's hand. She'd just shown him the message she was about to send David.

Avery pouted her lips. "I have to deal with this David situation, and I'd rather do it sooner than later."

Ethan nodded, touched her cheek, and kissed her on the forehead. In return, Avery kissed him on the lips. "I should be the one asking you."

"About what, my love?" Ethan's brows raised.

"Are you sure you're okay with David coming here? We can meet him in a restaurant or at my parents'."

"This is your house, too. It's ours. I'd rather have him come here for your talk. You're my responsibility now. I don't want him bringing his toxicity to your parents. They've already had their share of him."