TURNING THE PAGE

"ARE YOU SURE ABOUT this?" Avery's brows crinkled. "I'd love a getaway with our family, but I don't want you spending so much money. You didn't have to fly everyone and rent an entire house for a month-long vacation." She gently brushed Ethan's hair with her fingers.

Ethan looked at her, smiling. He took her hand and placed it on his lips. "I won't mind spending money on my family. You know I wouldn't allow my work to keep me from you guys for over three days. If not for my presence needed in LA for a month, I wouldn't go there. But I must be there, so I'd rather bring you guys."

Avery's heart melted. Ethan always fulfilled his promise. He never allowed his work to impede spending time with her and the kids. For that, she was grateful. It was always his idea to bring them wherever he goes away for work if it's beyond a day or two. "I wouldn't give you any reason to doubt me or our relationship." A smile formed on her lips as she remembered his words.

"What is that smile about?" Ethan pulled her body closer to his. She put her arms around her neck when he lifted her chin and placed his lips on hers.

"I just remembered something." She distanced her face a breath away from him and grinned. Then, when Ethan's forehead creased, she pecked his lips and softly bit his lower lip.

Ethan cupped her face. "Someone's being a temptress right now!" He traced her lips. "What did you remember, my love?" Slowly he started placing soft kisses on her forehead. "What did this beautiful mind of yours remember?"

Avery giggled louder. "The vow in our wedding."

Ethan smiled and placed a soft kiss on her nose. "My vow or yours?" he asked.

"Yours." Avery traced his lips.

Ethan's eyes grew big. "Was there something I promised in my vow that I failed to do?"

"No. You're amazing every day. You live up to your promise. Sometimes I still can't believe what someone like me did to deserve someone like you." Avery placed her lips on his gently and for a longer time. "My life's mission is always to please and make you happy, my love." He kissed her back. Avery slowly brushed her fingers through his hair. "And I thank you for that. I thank God every day for giving me you and our family."

Ethan slowly nuzzled her cheeks. When he lifted her chin, Avery saw his deep love for her in his gaze. Every day she wished Ethan also saw through her.

"I wish the time will come when you see how worthy you are. You realize you're not just someone, but you are somebody special. I always wish you feel you're enough and deserve my love and everyone who loves you, as I do."

Avery rested her head on Ethan's shoulder. "I feel your love all the time. Even the kids, my parents, and our friends. It's just sometimes I feel I'm unworthy of it all."

"That's expected because of what you've been through. But it wasn't your fault. Your self-worth shouldn't suffer because of someone's wrongdoing. Remember, anyone will never be good enough for the wrong person. When people do not see your value, they're not for you. That's what happened, then. But for me, you're enough. You will always be," Ethan explained as his arm clung to her waist while the other hand massaged her back.

"I love you," Avery whispered in his ear.

Ethan kissed her hair and whispered, "I love you more."

***

The house Ethan rented for them to stay in for a month was a thirty-minute drive to the hospital, where he was required to work for a month. But Avery and her parents' jaws dropped when they arrived in what he called their short-term vacation house.