Chapter 49

ETHAN KISSED AVERY'S FOREHEAD as he put her down at the back of the SUV.

"How can my water break?" It baffled Avery. "I don't feel any contraction at all! Ethan, is the baby okay?"

"The baby will be fine. Relax. Ste is here. I love you!" Ethan softly brushed Avery's lips with his. Doctor Stella sat beside Avery as Ethan took the front passenger seat. Once everyone buckled up, they drove to the hospital.

Doctor Stella was monitoring Avery along the way. Not feeling any labor signs made Avery anxious. Ethan had performed many surgeries and witnessed others, but nothing could compare to his nervousness. His whole body was trembling. When he saw Avery's eyebrows pulled up, her mouth stretched and drawn back, and vertical wrinkles appearing between her eyebrows, his flashbacks came back. He started gasping for air.

"Ave, there's nothing you need to worry about. Normally, some can have their water broken even with no labor pains. Contractions can follow, or there could be no contractions at all. It would help if you calmed down, or your blood pressure would be a problem. We don't want that, remember?" Doctor Stella squeezed Avery's hand. "We're near the hospital. Everything is ready, and the team is waiting for you."

Avery nodded as she breathed in and out to relax. Doctor Stella's words assured her. But when she glanced at Ethan, she couldn't help but point Doctor Stella in her brother's direction.

Ethan's face was white, and he was gasping for air. It alarmed Doctor Stella.

"Ethan... take a deep breath." She started rubbing his shoulders softly. She guided him to relax and steady his breathing. Once Ethan's breathing normalized, she dialed a number. "Hey, it's Ste. Can you please meet me in the delivery room in five minutes? I need your help with Ethan. Thank you!"

When the car stopped at the hospital's emergency entrance, Doctor Stella's team was waiting for them with a stretcher. Ethan was a nervous wreck, but he didn't allow anybody to touch Avery. Instead, he put her on the stretcher and never let go of her hand. Upon reaching the private delivery room set up for Avery, one nurse guided Ethan to an ensuite, where he changed into a scrub suit. When he returned, his sister was waiting for him with another doctor. "Ethan, this is Dr. Robertson. He's the Psychiatry Head. I've known him since Harvard when I shifted to OB and Developmental Pedia. You guys can talk in the waiting room while we prepare Avery." She patted her brother on the shoulder when his face showed hesitation. "Don't worry; I'll call you when Avery is ready."

Ethan shook the psychiatrist's hand and silently walked toward the room. When Doctor Stella came to where Avery was, she gave her an assuring smile. Saying nothing, Avery knew, just like her, that the doctor was also worried about her brother.

"My psychiatrist friend is talking to him now. He'll be fine. I'll call him here when it's time. I need you to stay calm, Ave." When the doctor patted her hand, Avery squeezed hers in return. At that moment, Avery felt a family's genuine love coming from a sister. True love didn't need blood. Ethan and his family had accepted all of her, no questions asked, and no conditions were required to be met.

***

"Ave, since we have Premature Rupture of Membranes, we must do labor induction. There's nothing to worry about it. It would be a normal step if the water broke with no contractions or signs of them." Doctor Stella explained.

"Will little Bean be alright?" Avery asked.

"Yes, there's no reason for the baby not to be. I promise to take care of you both. Trust me." Doctor Stella smiled as she squeezed her hand.

"I need Ethan here, please."

"Of course. I'll call him." Doctor Stella excused herself as she removed her gloves. Once outside the room, she dialed his brother.