Ezra Abao

12:34 am

Death-Cast did not call Ezra Abao because he wasn't dying today, but they called his passenger, who was currently unconscious.

He stopped the taxi and read the letter from top to bottom. Then he looked back at the kid, who was named Russell from the letter.

He had been through a lot, judging from the blood and the bruises.

He sighed to himself. His wife always blamed him and his compassion for going overtime on his job. You also have to be compassionate to your daughter, she'd say in straight English, which would sound estranged in her Tagalog accent.

Meanwhile, his boss would be pleased. Anything for the money, he'd say.

But now, as he drove to the nearest hospital, he turned off his taximeter. He had already defied his wife, and now he was risking his job.

Anything for a Decker who was about to die without having the chance to live one more time.

As he stopped at a traffic light, he opened Google Maps. The nearest hospital was much further than he realized.

He closed the app, revealing a family picture on his wallpaper. He took one glance at it. This was taken on a beach trip down south, back when his daughter was healthy.

He shook his thoughts out of his head.

The hospital would be too far, but he knew another person who could treat his injuries.

She wasn't his top choice, but there was nothing to lose.

He revved up the engine and he sped away on the green light.