Matt

9:03 am

It was when we actually arrived at the mall when I realized that I had no idea how to go about thisnentire thing. The mall hadn't opened yet and I was just talking about meeting a person there.

"Are you sure this is where you both are going to meet?" my dad asked me. "The mall is still closed. Isn't it a bit too early?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah! We were just. . .diri ra mi mag-meet unya naa ra mi adtu-an after." I huffed in response to my well-thought lie. Saying that SM Seaside was our meeting spot to go somewhere else was technically a half-truth.

My dad was silent as we pulled into the back of the mall, where the church and the upcoming ocean park were. These network of roads were usually filled with cars parked on the side. But if they didn't want to park there, the mall parking entrance and exit were found here too.

"Fine," he said. "But I need to meet this. . .Last Friend of yours."

"Okay," I said. That was the whole truth this time.

Then, I leaned on the window and watched the crowd gathering on the supposed mall entrance. Except it was closed.

My dad parked the car on the side of the road. After that, he took out the aluminum folds on the passenger seat and covered up the windshield.

He looked over at me. "Okay, let's go." He went out of the car. I grabbed my backpack and my water canteen and followed suit.

We walked to the entrance of the mall. Even at this time, the heat was as blistering as ever. Drops of sweat started to form on my forehead. The straps of the backpack were already biting into my shoulders.

Once we took shade near the mall, I turned to my dad. "He should be here any minute now."

I looked at my phone and texted Russell desperately. I looked around frantically, hoping I could find a sign of him.

That was the disadvantage of Last Friends. They had a tendency to not show up. And they also had a tendency to be murderers.

We stood there awkwardly for some time. I listened to some small talk within my earshot. I heard that there was a guy who tried to poison her baby by feeding her junk foods.

I could only laugh. What's up with parents these days?

"I could look for him," I suggested eventually. "Maybe he's at the other side of the mall."

"Okay," he replied. "We can search together. I'll take the left side."

"I'll go to the right."

Then, we both set off in opposite directions. But before I could go even further, someone tugged my left arm.

I turned and it was a beggar sitting down with a green bag. He was filled with dirt and grime and dressed in torn clothes.

There were a lot of people like this. But the first instinct I had was to forcefully let go. "Ew! Ga-unsa ka uy?"

"You looked like you were looking for someone," he replied in perfect English, which contrasted his poor appearance. Where did someone of his. . .level learn English that well?

"What do you mean--?" Then, everything clicked at once. The lightbulb went off in my head as I put the pieces together.

I pointed at him and gaped in bewilderment. "Don't tell me you're Russell."

"And you're Matthew?" he replied in the same surprised tone.

My heartbeat quickened until I felt like I wanted to collapse. But my sheer willpower kept me together. I couldn't waste time when it was ticking away.