Sasha Vae Villegas

1:13 am

Death-Cast did not call Sasha because she wasn't dying today, but after reading the letter on her bed, it was clear that her friend was.

She held up the letter to Matt. "This was what you wanted to tell me?"

He nodded timidly, unable to say anything. Typical.

She debated on what to feel: sad because he will be gone the next day or mad because it took him that long to tell his closest and only friend?

"Also," she muttered while looking at the letter. "I haven't seen this kind of communication before. Usually, it's by call, right?"

He wasn't looking at her. "Well, I hung up."

Her face betrayed nothing. She lay down on her bed, staring at her unpainted ceiling. Someday, she'll get to color that wall.

He raised an eyebrow. "Aren't you like. . .sad for me or anything?"

"I am," she replied flatly. "But honestly? Living in a world where you know when you'll die. . .it doesn't really come as surprising or saddening. It's probably only anxiety-inducing."

"So, nothing?"

"I want to break down right now." She sat up and hugged him tight. He was taken aback by the sudden gesture. But he relaxed into his friend's arms. "I'm going to miss you."

"I was actually gonna ask you if you want to accompany me in my End Day."

She let him go and locked eyes with him. "Well. . .I can't."

"Why not?"

"I was also going to tell you that I got a scholarship to a college abroad. And we're off to celebrate."

"But. . .can't you just move it another time? Like, I'm dying today and I really need someone who'll--"

"I can't. I'm sorry." She looked down. "I really want to help you one last time, but. . .I'm excited for my future, y'know?"

She was torn between going with Matt, or going to her future. Her parents planned this celebration for a long time ever since she got her acceptance letter a few days ago. Her entire family will be there and they were planning on going island hopping. She was planning on inviting him over to celebrate with her.

But him dying today became an immediate stop to that plan.

Before she could say any of this, he stood up and turned his back on her. "Okay. I understand. I'll be going now."

"Wait! Your letter." She quickly folded the letter and slid it back into the envelope. He took it without looking at her. "I'm sorry, okay?"

"Yeah. I know." His now-monotone voice cut her heart in half. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too."

She watched as he disappeared from view. She forced her broken heart together and sucked in a breath.

She knew this was something she'll regret. She knew this was something she won't forget.

She couldn't imagine living in a world without her best friend.

Maybe it's because either way, the world will whisk her away from him.