56◦❀◦Two at Sunset

If you remember Chapter 29, this is update will make you nostalgic.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The imperial family was loved by the citizens. Although the Gran Dacchian Empire was established by conquering the surrounding kingdoms, the corruption and poverty that ruled over these countries have been wiped out. Policies were reestablished, new vassals were appointed and laws were passed. Within almost two decades, the empire flourished.

Despite being adored by the citizens, it is rare for the imperial family to be seen publicly, if not for official events. Thus, any news, falsehood or fact, was immensely welcomed.

These rumors reached Alec and Lizzie's ears within the same day. Thus their desire to roam around the capital incognito was stronger than ever. After the stunt in the arena, Alec brought her back to the emperor's palace. There he laid out his plans, dressed as commoners and travelled to the capital.

Before that, Lizzie witnessed Alec's aide chasing after their carriage with scrolls, documents and tears. It was not the time to be sneaking away. Alec should have finished his tasks and welcomed guests and diplomats invited to the imperial wedding. Yet, he has been spending his days with her, stirring rumors and scandals left and right.

"You were avoiding me, weren't you?" she asked him to shake the thoughts in her head.

"Then why am I granting your sixth wish on the list?"

"That's not what I meant. You were avoiding me earlier."

"It amazes me how you figure out these things but not the bigger picture."

She already figured out the bigger picture of their relationship, in vivid colors of red and heartbreak. What she didn't understand was why he avoided her earlier that day. "Did I do something wrong?"

"You were drunk yesterday."

She swallowed back a confident "So what?" Drunk people do drunken things, and she must have done something embarrassing.

Did my breath offend him?

"So I did something, huh."

Did I throw up?

Did I rant about my life?

Her questions were unanswered when he avoided the topic with a "You were so defenseless." He then shifted the conversation to the earlier incident. "You are quite possessive, Lizzie."

Am not. "I just saved you from being bewitched."

Yet, he was indifferent and watched the rolling view of trees outside the carriage window. "Ah, the usual love option trick, I see."

From the same view, her head snapped to him. "Usual?"

"They won't work and most of them are hoaxes."

"The usual?!" she repeated.

Alec also pulled his attention from the view and watched her, a seat across him. "Everyone knows magic, no matter how rare, cannot manipulate feelings. But the fact would not sway anyone with desire. Still, thank you."

She mumbled a nonchalant "You're welcome."

She got the chance to use her years of archery. It wasn't during the auction, nor when they were gambling. And to think her skills were displayed for such reasons, Lizzie was conflicted.

Minutes later, they exited the plain-looking carriage. "So where do we go first?" He asked, rearranging Lizzie's hood.

She insisted that despite the rumors, nobody could recognize them in public. "I'd blend in the crowd well, my clothes aren't flashy."