janice the bench and love professions

me: "i hate rereading old chapters bc i find them cringey and there's so many grammar mistakes.. also that one emo part has me burning my phone"
also me: *rereads and endures the mistakes while giggling like a little girl bc some of it is really cute and i forgot half of it*
——

you intertwine your arm with kai's and drag him out of the house, making sure that the door is locked behind you. we can't putt your plushies and funko pops at risk to be stolen.

you feel yourself buzz with excitement. it was exciting to go back and be able to see your classmates, but also disappointing because you know that noya, haya, and everyone else won't be there.

"i missed this." kai says and closes his eyes as his head faces the sky.

"i did too." you reply, taking a deep breath through your nose.

it was still fall but winter was approaching quickly, the wind was cool and nice good on your face.

turning the corner after a few minutes, you see the gates of seijoh high school. by this time your nerves had calmed and it felt like any other day.

you walk into the gates and instantly see the infamous seijoh four standing near one of the cherry blossom trees.

oikawa was scratching the back of his head awkwardly with iwaizumi scolding him. mattsun and makki were leaning towards each other, giggling at the scene.

you turn your head to face kai, a feeble attempt to hide yourself. kai sees them as well and leans down to your height.

"whatcha think he did?" you tilt your head towards the direction of the boys.

"who did he do?" kai chuckles and throws his arm around you.

it takes a second for the joke to kick in but when it did, you gasped and slapped his arm gently. "please he's never seen a cooter, and if he did i feel like he'd go 'is it supposed to look like that?"

kai slaps a hand over his mouth right before a loud wheeze escapes. "you're wrong for that."

"nope. i'm right and we both know it." you laugh a little and walk to your janice bench. you and kai eat lunch and wait for the bell to ring every morning at this bench. its not written, but its a fact that she is y'all's bench.

janice is a wooden bench, sat perfectly under a cherry blossom tree. she has a back, no arm rests, she isn't very old, maybe around 5 ish years, and she's the perfect light gray color. she is in just enough shade to keep you cool when its hot, but just exposed enough to let sunlight peak through the petals. theres other benches around that look nearly identical, but none of them are janice.

they all have names as well: jenkins and martha are right next to the entrance, facing each other. sarah faces henry. and the bench that faces janice is abigail.

of course with names, a backstory is necessary so a backstory for each bench was created. but the readers probably aren't too interested in benches.

;)))) wink wonk

when you saw her in your first year, you mentioned that it looked like a setting for a romance anime. thus it became the 'anime bench'. people seemed to avoid it for no apparent reason and kai jokingly said that it was because they were the side characters and you two were the main characters.

how right he was.

"you would not believe the amount of people i had to push off of janice while you were gone." kai said as he sat down, crossing one of his legs over the other gracefully.

you follow behind, setting your bag down on the sidewalk. you sit down with your legs criss crossed, facing kai. "we should write our names on her.. but i could never deface our bestie." you sigh, patting janice.

"true true," he leans back and closes his eyes. "the world is back to normal. we were sad without you luv."

"awh, dont get all sappy on me now." you laugh softly and push his shoulder.

he opens his eyes and puts his 8 years of acting classes to use. his eyes gloss over with tears and he takes your hand in his as he begins his monologue. "my sweet y/n, days without thou are cold. wind doesn't blow when thou aren't around. thy air is stagnant, like mine beating heart. mine heart beats for thee, thou art like a painting. made by a five year old, finger painting to be exact."

you decide to play along with his act, "oh kai, how mine heart yearned whilst i was away. what such sorrows i was burdened. my love, we shan't never part again." at this point, both of his hands are in yours' as you profess your love. "thy art mine platonic soulmate."

you get so into character that you don't hear two sets of footsteps approaching. by the time you notice two tall figures, your hands are snatched away from kai's.

"m'lady y/n," a grinning makki is kneeling on one knee in front of you. "forget lord kai, come to me, my love, and i shall give thee the finest dresses and weaponry a lady should ever need."

"no m'lady, come to me." a now also grinning mattsun is holding onto one of your hands, his other hand tipping your chin to look up at him. "thou hast returned, art thy stds ridden? or hast thou's tomfoolery gotten the better of her. ah, my sweet y/n, how i longed for thee to return to me."

you playfully roll your eyes, giving kai the 'wtf is happening right now eyes.' he was already leaning back, recording the interaction.

you let out a small breath and look up at the tall blocker. "forgive me my lord, but thine heart is already sealed away. a short king has taken it. oh, how deeply i..like.. him." you freeze, not sure if you're ready to say that you love noya. "he hast stolen mine heart and locked it away, if thou wishes to win my affection, challenge king nishinoya, but beware. he has dragons and angels that shalt protect him."

the finger under your chin falls, "waiittttttt.." the wheels in his head are obviously moving, theres even some steam coming off of him. "youre with karasunos shorty now?!"

——

our bby gworl janice in all of her shutter stock glory 😍👹 also peep my shakespeare talk, i had to look up the definitions of thou, thine, mine, thee- im pretty sure i still got it wrong