F I F T Y

"I think quite often there are things that can be far worse than death."

-Xamdú

___________________________________

Ake could hardly move after he felt a piercing pain go through his chest. As he tried to rise from the bed that night, Ake fell to the ground with a thud causing his hair to sprawl into his face. He swallowed dryly and grabbed onto the side of the bed to lift himself back up. Something was very wrong and it made his mind race for what it could be. In the end, he just hoped for Karos' safety and fast return to his arms and nothing else. 

He hugged himself tight at the thought he was suppressing making its way to the forefront of his mind. It wracked his mind and sent chills down his spine. He said he would give everything to be with him, but Ake never it imagined it to be his true self. If it was true, he would never be able to become who he truly was again. He would be stuck in this form. Ake bit down on his lip and muscled down a sob. How could he ever be king when he could not even become what he truly was? The bitterness of the thought was eating him alive. 

"Ake!" Fariel rushed in and grabbed him from off the bed. "We must get away from here quickly!" 

Before Ake could take another step, he fell to his knees causing Fariel to whip his head around and eye him. 

"What is the matter with you?" 

"I do not know," Ake's voice shook as he spoke. 

"You were just fine the other day. You had enough energy to tackle me to the ground! Where did it all go?" Fariel hoisted him up to his feet and leaned him against his shoulders. 

"Has something happened to Karos?" Ake breathed. 

"No, let us focus on getting out of here, first. We can go into detail later." 

Ake pushed away from Fariel causing him to hit the floor of the hallway. 

"What happened? I will not go anywhere with you until you tell me!" 

"Ake, now is not the time!" 

"Is he okay? You must tell me." Ake's voice was breaking along with his heart. He heard a couple thuds on the roof followed by screeches and talons scratching against the tiles. 

"Get up!" Fariel tugged him forward and took them in the opposite direction of the noise. Griffins fell through the roof followed by a dragon. Its black blood dripped down onto Fariel's face as it was just inches away from hitting him. "We need to go now!" 

The dragon rose and let out a roar as more griffins came and filled the halls. More dragons fell through the roofs crushing the griffins as they did. As soon as they reached outside, Ake saw nothing but fire and the burning bodies of gwasas scattered across the ground. Them being here only meant the battle Karos had gone out to fight had been lost. Ake's eyes filled with tears at the very thought. Was that the reason for the pain in his chest? 

"Ake, we cannot stop here. We must go!" Ake tugged away from him as he shook his head. 

"No, I will not go anywhere. Not without Karos. I cannot leave him. I should have never let him leave me here." He should have never let him leave. He should have told him everything that had been in his heart that day. Ake muscled down the vile taste of regret and wiped at his eyes. He should have kissed him and told him goodbye. Now, he was afraid he may not ever be able to do either of those things again.

"You are weaker than before. What can you do?" Fariel screamed. 

Fariel snatched his arm and dragged him closer to himself until he had a good handle on him. Ake decided he would go along with him until he was able to muster up enough strength of his own. There were far worse things in life than death and he was reeling from one of those things already. Still, he had Karos. He had him, and that was all that mattered.