T H I R T Y - F O U R

"Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy."

-Xamdú

__________________________

The night was quiet. Waves continued to hit against the sides of the palace drowning out the sound of their feet hitting the cobblestone streets. Karos looked around for some light from the moon, but it was hidden in the clouds. It brought him some unease, but he kept forward and did not stop until he reached the threshold. 

 "Up there. We should gain some advantage," Analia whispered as he felt her hand wrapping around his wrist. She tugged him close to her before pushing him ahead.  

He pressed his back against a nearby pillar as he saw guards rounding the corners. As soon as they passed, he ran to the next column. There was a bridge up ahead filled with soldiers holding torches. It was the only way, he told himself, strengthening his resolve. He would never give up his position of power even if it meant saving the city. No, he would be stubborn and resolute in his ways which Karos had no time for. 

There were some faint traces of light shining from the moon allowing him to gain a better visual of Analia as well as Rakkaus beside her. Since he first enlisted into the military, he was taught to never bring someone you cannot trust. However, he was without another choice. Rakkaus was much more useful to him here than back at the villa. 

Karos gripped the hilt of his sword and cut his eyes back to the men waiting on the other side. Without Fariel and more men they could not make it across without commotion erupting. They would have to go below. 

"I will tie the rope to the bridge holding. Rakkaus cover me. Analia you will go down first." They each gave a nod. 

Karos continued to duck between the passing pillars until he was pressed against one of the bridge holdings. They were stone slabs used for decorative purposes. It would hold its weight, however. He tied the rope around it and knotted it a couple times. He looked up making sure the guards had not been alerted of his presence and continued until he was finished. 

He signaled Analia to come close just as the guard started to patrol further down the gate. She hit the ground just as the torch light was about to shine on her. Once he turned away, Analia crawled to him with dirt now littering her face. She went down the rope causing Karos to signal Rakkaus after. Instead going down the rope, he jumped and landed with ease. He continued to walk ahead not waiting for him. 

Karos was quick to lower himself down until he could feel the water seeping into his pants. Still, he wadded through with Analia following close behind. They had gone over the plan, so even if Rakkaus decided to go on ahead he knew what to do. However, it still troubled him. His gazes and glances towards him were ones filled with anger and resentment.

As soon as the abandoned gate bridge door came into view, Karos checked around again for any lingering guards. Rakkaus opened the door despite his efforts. It creaked opened and flooded with water from outside. 

Inside, the lit torches hanging from the sides shined brighter the further they traveled. Karos could make out the sounds of rats scurrying across the stone floors. The squeaks from the rodents filled the deadening silence and helped mask their heavy footsteps. Only their heavy breathing would give them away. 

They neared the stairs leading towards the surface. However, Karos opted to take the longer route through the waterways. He had done tasks such as this many times before and each time proved to be more precarious than the last.