F O R T Y - N I N E

"The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any other emotional pain one can feel. It is the betrayal of a friend."

-Xamdú

___________________________

Analia scurried through the darkened hall like a rat that night. She had overheard everything which caused her heart to hurt more for Karos. However, that was where it ended. He did not know what he was doing. This all could be solved with Ake dying. If the dragon king would have it his way he would want Karos dead, so she did not feel so guilty in her thoughts. In all actuality, it was an easy decision to make. She fastened on her leather armor ignoring the clamor going on around her. 

The men were readying their swords and steel while others were finishing with the trenches for the gwasas. There were shouts and yells followed by curses and swears. They were a motley crew, but it was all they had. She eyed one man who was busy swinging away at a log with the skills of a farmer boy. He could hardly hold the sword upright, nonetheless, leave a notch on the wood. She sighed and set her eyes on the blue sky. 

What were they going to do about the griffins? There was only so many dragons left and from what she heard about them, they were vicious creatures. The kind of beasts that masqueraded around as human and did the most heinous crimes. There was no doubt in her mind that they had fueled the fire for centuries between them and dragons, but there was no more time for that. What was done was done. 

"Analia, will you take the front?" Karos asked causing her to jolt away.

"Ah, Karos, you scared me. I will be wherever you will be, as always," she smiled, but he did not return it. "You are still angry with me. I understand that, but we are friends and we are family. Just for this day, put all other matters aside and only think of us in this." 

She had to make Karos let his guard down around her. It was the only way she could ever get close enough to the stone. She rather it be Ake than him. That is what she kept saying to herself, but there was guilt nestling into the pits of her stomach. They were much in love, but so was she with Andel. Like herself, she had no choice in the matter just as she would not give Karos one. She would not ask him or force his hand.

Karos smiled then and ruffled her hair. 

"We are and you are right," he said. 

Analia knew he still held much love for her, and because of that, he was so easy to forgive and bring her back close to his heart again. He was the kind of man that loved a mother who sold him to a brothel and continued to love her even after. She had known he would come to forgive her. During the battle, she would take it from him and, after that, she would not speak to him or show her face around him any longer. Karos could not ever forgive her then. He pressed his forehead to hers and kissed between her brows as he had always done when they were younger. It caused her eyes to water. Could she ever forgive herself? That was the question which haunted her the most.

Just as he was about to bring her into a hug, she wiped her eyes and pushed him away. 

"There is no need for that. With you, there is no need for silent goodbyes. You are not one for them." 

"... I could not say it to him." 

Analia smiled sadly. "Of course, you could not. You love him... " She swallowed the bitter taste of those words down and nudged him. "And I love you, so I would never let a thing happen to you no matter what." Looking at him now, he was very much still the same boy who brought her close at night and kissed her cheek whenever she would smile. "No matter what." Even if he came to hate her. Karos walked away causing her to take off in the other direction.