F O R T Y - S I X

"Sometimes the hard thing and the right thing are the same." 

-Xamdú

_________________________

Ake woke to the sound of Karos' breath blowing into his ear. He kissed his cheek down to his neck and kept it there. When he noticed he was not waking up, Ake nuzzled his face into his neck some more and bit lightly onto it causing him to stir. He smiled against his skin and nipped his ear. 

"Ake... "  Karos' voice was deep and full of sleep which he liked very much. He loved the sound of it. 

"I see that you are well now." When Karos' eyes opened, Ake could not help the pressing need to kiss him and kiss him again and again, but he left it at a single kiss and stared into his eyes. Such beautiful green eyes.

"With you, I am anything but unwell."

"Your words are sweet as they always are," Karos smiled and cupped his face in his hand. 

He knew he was right to go and follow them when he heard Karos trying to sneak away that night. He forgot that dragons hear quite well with all the times he had tried that on him. A few gwasas would not keep him away from him. He was already well as it is. It was worth it. It would always be worth it. 

"... It is well into the evening and... things must be done ahead of time." 

"Why is that?" 

Ake saw the hesitation plain as the sun in the sky, but words came spilling out from him not longer after. 

"Griffins and gwasas, Ake."

Ake's eyes widened but Karos wrapped a hand around his waist keeping him in place. 

"But do not worry. I will handle this. I care for your people as I care for my own." 

"I do not doubt that... but they are my people. You must first worry for your own. Is that not right?" Ake kissed him again and rose wishing he could spend some more intimate time with him. It was his duty as the crowned prince to see his people to safety and no other.

"Rakkaus had taken over the palace and much of the command of the human soldiers there. He had locked Bash and Analia in a dungeon." 

"He had what?"

"So you must speak some sense into him." 

Karos rose and handed him a fresh set of human clothes causing Ake to look at him and smile. Something was amiss and he was not telling him. For what reason, he wondered. 

"Why had he done that?"

Karos was closed-lipped as he rubbed at his eyes and took a hand through his hair. "You may hear it from him." God of Mercy, he was nothing but gorgeous to him. Every little thing he did just made Ake want to kiss him. The will it took not to was exhausting, to say the very least. 

"Bash had done a terrible thing... worthy of your greatest scorn... Ake, and I cannot ask you to forgive him, but try to put it aside in this moment. Togetherness is what we need  right now." 

Ake nodded as he undid his bandaging ready for a shirt. He did not bother to further inquire. If Karos did not want to tell him then so be it. He took Karos' hand in his stopping him from walking away and stared at him. It made Karos' eyes falter causing his smile to grow wider. Ake pressed his lips to it and let him go. He hadn't the slightest idea how it happened, but Karos meant the world to him. His happiness and his wants were like his own now. 

"Very well then. I will keep that in mind. In return, come and kiss me."

Karos bent down with a smile tugging at his lips and covered Ake's with his.