Penelope

"Why is the neckline of this gown so low," said Lady Featherington as she attempted to pull Penelope's dress up.

"Mama," Penelope admonished. "This is the way the gown was designed. Madame Delacroix lowered the bust of the dress to give me a more natural waist and this way my bosom while still being on display will not be pushed up on the way to my chin. Something which I find extremely uncomfortable. Madame Delacroix assured me that it would be most flattering," said Penelope as she smoothed the skirts of her gown.

"It is quite scandalous," sniffed her Mama. "I daresay you will attract quite the number of stares to your bubbies this evening."

Penelope sighed as she looked towards the mirror and stared at her reflection. She looked like she had always wanted to look. Her hair had been curled gently and been styled half up with curls falling gently on her back and small tendrils had been pulled into the front to frame her face. Not usually one for makeup, she had permitted Mrs. Varley the smallest amount of rouge for her lips and cheeks as well as kohl to bring out her blue eyes. Mrs. Varley had wanted to apply a patch and had stated that they were coming back into fashion, but Penelope had refused. She wanted to look like herself and not be heavily made up. Madame Delacroix had out done herself with a dress and the adjustments that she had made worked wonders for Penelope's figure. The lowering of the bust allowed Penelope's bosom to fall naturally while still providing support. The sleeves of the dress were capped and were cut to the middle of her shoulder which showed off her creamy and flawless shoulders and her dress which was covered in the most beautiful silver embroidery and small gemstones twinkled when it reflected the light.

"Oh, I..." said Penelope at a complete loss for words.

"You look beautiful Miss Penelope," said Mrs. Varley as she fastened the necklace and gave her shoulder a squeeze. "Do not let anyone tell you differently," said Mrs. Varley as she met her eyes in the mirror.

Penelope nodded and gave Mrs. Varley a grateful smile. "Well, I just need my gloves and I am ready. Mama, Prudence should we be on our way?"

The carriage ride to the Cowper's estate was but a short journey from their home and as the carriage jostled along, Penelope could feel her nervousness growing. This would be the first time that she would truly be out in public since Lady Whistledown's column. Yes, she had visited Madame Delacroix's and had gone to Gunter's, but this would be the first time since the column that she would be in the full presence of the ton. Penelope had prepared herself for the comments that would undoubtedly be spoken behind her back and the pitying stares, but it was still a daunting task to face. She closed her eyes and said to herself. "You are more than what they think. You are kind, compassionate, brave and intelligent. You are more than equal to any of the other young ladies here." The carriage then came to a stop and Penelope opened her eyes and let you the breath that she was holding. It was time.

The Cowper's had clearly spared no expense when it came to preparing their ball. The walls of the ballroom with festooned with white flowers and silver and white draperies. The chandeliers bathed the room in a twinkling light. An orchestra had been set up in the corner of the ballroom and across the room was the largest champagne fountain that Penelope had ever seen. She was so lost in her examination of the room that she had not noticed the multiple pairs of eyes that had fallen upon her until her mother nudged her with her elbow.

"I told you that dress would draw attention," whispered her mother into her ear before plastering a smile onto her face as they walked into the ballroom.

Penelope forced herself to take several deeps breaths as she followed her mother. She expected the looks that received to be pitying and cruel but found that most of the young ladies and gentlemen stares to be appraising almost as if they were seeing something that they had never encountered before. Penelope scanned the room and quickly found the Bridgerton family across the room.