Colin

Colin took a deep breath as he looked up at the façade of Featherington House, a bouquet of flowers in his hands. He had awoken early that day and gone to the florist the minute that they had opened. He had painstakingly chosen the blooms for the bouquet including daisies, sunflowers and lilies along with cornflowers which reminded him of the color of her eyes. He was happy with the way the bouquet had come out. It was bright and cheery and reminded him of Penelope.

Just as Colin was about to knock on the front door, the door swung open to reveal Lord Duxbury being escorted out by the elderly Featherington family butler Briarly.

"Mr. Bridgerton," greeted Lord Duxbury with a nod of his head. "I had not realized that you were back in England. I trust your travels went well. Albania, was it not?

"For a brief time, yes I was in Albania, but I quickly found myself traveling back to Greece," replied Colin as he bounced from his heels to his toes anxious to be done with the conversation so that he could visit with Penelope.

Lord Duxbury smiled and looked back towards to the door which Briarly was keeping open and then back to the bouquet that Colin held in his hands. "I suppose those are for Miss Prudence?" he asked in what Colin believed was a hopeful lilt to his voice.

"No, they are in fact they are for Miss Penelope," replied Colin who watched as the wide grin on Lord Duxbury's face was soon replaced by a frown.

Lord Duxbury looked down at the blooms once more. "Lilies are a symbol of passion while sunflowers are a symbol of adoration. Do you mean to court Penelope Featherington Mr. Bridgerton?"

Colin paused for a moment unsure of how to respond to Lord Duxbury's question. In the end Colin chose to be honest. "Yes, I would like to court Penelope Featherington with the intent to marry, if she will have me."

Lord Duxbury looked down at the steps gently nodding his head before slapping his gloves into his hand. "I suppose that means that there is little to no hope for the rest of us. Good day Bridgerton," the young lord said before walking down the remaining steps and disappearing into his carriage. Colin did not have a moment to react for it was then that Briarly cleared his throat and invited him into the foyer.

"Mr. Colin Bridgerton to see Miss Featherington," said Colin firmly. Briarly eyed him with his typical sardonic gaze before saying, "Yes Mr. Bridgerton, please follow me." Briarly then led him up the stairs to the hallway that led to the drawing room. Outside of the drawing room he could see that there were two other gentlemen waiting, one in which he did not know and the other being Lord Fife.

"As you can see Mr. Bridgerton, there is a small queue of gentlemen that are already here to see Miss Featherington. I am afraid that there will be a small wait," explained Briarly as he motioned for him to sit in a nearby chair.

Colin who remained standing nodded and replied saying that he did not mind waiting and watched as the butler gently knocked on the drawing room door and entered to let Miss Penelope and Lady Featherington know of their latest caller. He did not hear Penelope or her mother's response as they were speaking in hushed tones but quickly drew back as he heard Briarly approaching. Briarly closed the doors of the drawing room once more.

"Gentlemen, it should only be a little while longer," said Briarly. "She will see you first Lord Rochester," said Briarly to the gentlemen he did not know. "Followed by Lord Fife and then lastly Mr. Bridgerton." As Briarly made his way past the gentlemen he stopped in front of Colin and in a hushed tone whispered. "You broke her heart last year, see that it does not happen again and that you treat her with the respect she deserves."

"I..." Colin started to say before the elderly butler interrupted him.

"I know it is not my place Mr. Bridgerton but I have been with the Featherington family since Penelope was but two years old. In a way she feels like a daughter and with Lord Featherington being gone, Miss Penelope does not have anyone to look after her. God knows that her mother will not."