22|Alone

This chapter is dedicated to PRIN-CY265, for leaving the best comments ever and encouraging me to finish this book, thank you so much!! I really appreciate it! ❤️

•••

My head hurts, my chest hurts, my legs hurt. But what hurts the most is watching the paramedics place Levi on a stretcher and carry him into the back of the ambulance. The very thought of him dying brings me to tears every time I even try to think of it. And now I regret every last thing I said to him.

My eyes hurt too due to the blue and red lights, flashing from the top of all the cars that pulled up. I can drearily see some residents of the neighborhood watching the scene from a distance, some with their phones out. I just hope our faces don't go trending all over the internet. I'm glad it's already dark.

I wince in pain as the paramedic wraps the plaster cast around my right arm, it just had to be the useful one that got fractured. The crash wasn't so bad because Levi wasn't driving at full speed when it happened, he slowed down when taking the turn. That's what saved my life. "Ow, ow, ow, please be careful."

"Sorry... it just has to be tight enough," she apologizes. "Excuse me miss," an officer calls out, approaching me. "I'm sorry about all this happening, you look pretty young," he tells me.

"I'm 17," I reply, earning a really? look from both of them. "Um alright then... can I ask you some questions about what happened, since you're the prime witness... that's if you don't mind..."

I nod. "I don't."

"Who is the victim to you?" he asks.

"He's... he's my boyfriend," I mutter. "Do you know anyone that could have been behind this? Maybe an ex or... a friend he was having problems with?"

I shake my head. "No... I don't know anyone." My best surmise is this shooting could have been connected with him being a mafia boss, but I can't tell that to an officer.

"Oh... then after the bullets were fired, did you notice anyone in the surrounding area that could have been responsible?"

My breath hitches, as I remember the guy who was staring at me through the window. He eventually left without doing or saying anything. All he did was stare. Up till this moment that I'm surrounded by people who can protect me, I'm terrified. I just can't get that image out of my head. The moment I need Levi protecting me, he's battling for his life. I feel so unsafe knowing that guy is still roaming around.

But I can't tell that to the police. If truly this shooting took place 'cause of a mafia-related problem it could be trouble for Levi. That's if he survives. "I... I didn't see anything... it all just happened so fast, the car crashing and all," I tell him.

"Okay then... still, we'll try our best to get this guy. Till then, stay safe. Don't go out at night and if you notice anything that could connect to this shooting you know the line to call," he says. "Good night then." He walks away, leaving me with the paramedic lady.

"The ambulance is about to leave." She packs up the first aid kit and gets to her feet. "Come on, can you walk?"

"I-I can try," I reply. I think my knee buckled when the car collided with the tree. I get up, watching the car get towed away. How did I end up in a situation like this? She takes my hand, helping me into the ambulance. I'm escorted in to sit on a stretcher. "You're going to be okay, just take deep breaths and try to stay calm. We'll take care of you," the lady reassures me. I nod weakly, my eyes fixed on Levi who lies on a stretcher nearby. Two paramedics are tending to his gunshot wounds.