23: screaming & crying ☆

¤¤¤

"Baby.."
...
"Layla?..."
...
"Layla! Wake up!"

I feel myself getting harshly shaken as my eyes open.

I look around confused, before my eyes settle on Ryder.

"Baby, are you okay? You were screaming and crying in your sleep."

As he says this, my hand reaches up to touch my face, feeling it covered in tears.

I go to answer him, before the nightmare slams into me, causing me to gasp as more tears flow.

I reach out, grabbing him, pulling him as close as possible before burying my face in his neck and releasing loud broken sobs from my lips.

He grabs onto me, pulling me onto his lap, then wraps his arms around me in a secure embrace.

"Shh. It's okay. I'm here. What happened?"

As he asks me what happened, the image of his body jolting from a bullet wound embeds itself in my brain and I sob harder.

Gasping for air, I cling onto him harder, as I begin to choke from the force of the sobs.

"Baby.. it's okay. I got you." he tells me in a deep, soothing voice.

I can feel the vibrations in his chest as he speaks, and I attempt to focus on them, slowly calming myself down.

I take deep, slow breaths, breathing in his familiar scent of pine and mint, slowly relaxing.

Once he feels my body starting to relax, he plants kisses on top my head, then asks again what is wrong.

I lean back just enough to stare into his beautiful blue eyes.

His beautiful, alive, blue eyes.

Reaching out, I run my hand down his chest, exactly where the bullet got him in the dream.

Once I'm sure this is truly happening, and he's with me alive and safe, I begin explaining.

I tell him everything, in great detail.

By the time I finish, his blue irises are looking at me with love and affection.

"Baby.." he says in a deep whisper, then cradles me against him.

"That will never happen. I'm here and I'm safe. Okay? I'm not going to die. We are safe." as he says this, more tears fill my eyes.

"No baby. Why are you crying more?" he asks with a look of sadness and confusion.

"I'm sorry.. just the thought of losing you terrifies me, Ryder. Even hearing you say you aren't going to die. I just don't want the word die in a sentence about you, ever. I love you so much. I cannot ever lose you." I explain to him.

"Don't be sorry, my love. I understand. I love you too, Layla. More than you could imagine." as he says this, I give him a small thankful smile.

Relief floods through me that he understands me, and is willing to comfort me.

I was worried to tell him and possibly anger him or provoke him. But he's being so kind and gentle. I truly appreciate it more than words can explain.