37: The End

Author's Note:

This isn't edited yet, sorry if you see any mistakes, wanted to get this out sooner rather than later.

I wanted to also thank all of you that have stuck around to see the end of my first ever book. You guys are truly amazing.

♡♡♡

...

The early afternoon sun beat down on my face, causing me to squint, as I couldn't remember when was the last time I saw the sun.

I inhaled a deep breath of fresh air, filling my lungs to the brim, before slowly releasing it.

A small smile graced my face, only to be dropped moments later when the cuffs around my wrists were tugged on, pulling me to the vehicle that is driving me to my fate.

The metal rubbed against the bandages, creating a stinging pain that wouldn't go away. I can't be upset though, I did this to myself, and now I must face the consequences.

The doctors said if I wasn't found when I was, I would have died, bled out, alone on the bed. A large part of me does still wish I wasn't found, but I guess I am coming to terms with being alive.

Though Ryder left me, I try to not be selfish, I should be happy for him, and I am. I am glad he is free, living his life away from all of this. I hope and pray they never find him.

I also hope and pray he's able to somehow get help, so he can live a more peaceful life. I truly just want him to be happy and safe.

I sit in the back of the van, watching the trees, the people freely walking, talking, enjoying their days. It plants a small seed of envy in me. I wish that was us, but it wasn't meant to be.

Tears form at the brim of my eyes, as I quickly wipe them away, composing myself. Deep breaths, Layla.

I inhale through my nose, count to three, then release through my mouth. It calms my nerves a small amount, just enough for me to focus on what is to come.

My lawyers and the doctors expect me to plead that I was a victim, to tell the courts how much of a monster Ryder is, but that is not what I plan to do.

I plan to tell the courts what an amazing man he is. That he loved me, protected me, cherished me while we were together. I will not lie and claim I was a victim.

I tried to escape once, but I stopped. I made the choice to stay. That day sealed my fate, and I accept that.

Even if he no longer cares for me, it doesn't mean I will turn against him. He still has my loyalty, even if I don't have his.

We pull into the parking lot, swarms of reporters flash their cameras, desperate to get a picture that will skyrocket their career. Groups of normal civilians push their way forward, trying to get a glance at me.

The public thinks Ryder and I are evil, yet they don't realize how evil they are as well. They get so excited to catch a glimpse of someone who has committed heinous actions. They want to brag to everyone that they were close to a killer.