eight - chick period brain connection .

TW: Violence

TW: Violence.

The mood had shifted dramatically after the Pogues discovered Big John's compass aboard the sunken Grady-White. What had first seemed like a fun opportunity to collect a finder's fee or something that might help them financially survive the summer had become an attempt to solve a mystery. What the hell was Scooter Grubbs doing with John B's father's compass, and did it have anything to do with Big John's disappearance?

It had seemed like John B wanted to be left alone after the discovery the previous night, so JJ headed back to his house, grateful to see that his dad was already passed out on the couch by the time he got there. Rylee decided to hold true to her promise to Sheriff Peterkin and spend the night at her mom's.

Early the next morning, JJ crept out of his house before his dad's eyes had even opened and made his way on foot over to the Château. It wasn't too long of a walk, thankfully, but long enough for thoughts to race rapidly through his head as he went. JJ had expected something to be on the boat, a couple kilos of coke or something like that. To think that John B had almost drowned for a compass kind of felt like a swift kick in the nuts. 

Beginning to tiptoe, JJ began to circle around the Château. He peered inside each window, both John B's bedroom and the spare bedroom Rylee had claimed, but John B was just knocked out on the couch, right underneath the large living room window. As JJ crept over to the front door with every intention of bursting through the door and scaring the shit out of him, a summons notice from the Department of Child Services caught his attention. He chortled, and then slapped his palm sharply against the door, "DCS! I know you're in there!" He shouted.

JJ didn't give John B much time to respond before he jumped, landing on the deck that looked into the window with a large thump. He peered in through the window and spotted the thunderstruck look on John B's face. He burst out into laughter, "You should have seen your face!" He exclaimed as John B seemed to finally be breathing again, covering his face with his hands, "Your face was like-" He grit his teeth in an attempt to imitate John B's shocked expression.

John B gave him the bird while JJ walked through the front door, still managing to stifle his laughter. "Dude, did you get the scuba stuff back onto Ward's boat?"