nine - the death compass .

TW: Violence, guns, animal death

"And then we were right outside like this. And all we hear is just, 'Bam, bam, bam!'" JJ was recounting the events that had transpired at Ms. Lana's, moving from one side of the covered porch to the other as he emphatically reenacted the scene, "Knocking paint off the wall, G! From the inside."

Pope and Rylee were seated on the green couch on the porch that still kind of smelled like puke from the time she had gotten sick in the middle of the night after a long night of drinking, no matter how many times she had cleaned it. Kie sat across from them, focused yet skeptical at JJ's reenactment.

"All right?" JJ continued, making sure that Kie and Pope were following the story closely, "And I'm just looking at them, like -- Wait," JJ cut off his own train of thought, "First off, look at this shit," He pushed himself off of the wall and hurried forward to the center of the group. He flipped his head forward, shaking his wild blonde hair. Dried flecks of paint came raining out, "Look at it."

Kie's face scrunched in disgust, "That's dandruff, disgusting," She mumbled, causing Rylee to let out her first real laugh in a few hours. Her mind was still back with Ms. Lana, feeling like she should have stayed, made sure she was okay.

"Okay, thank you," Pope gave JJ a shove to get him away from him, and they examined the white flecks that had come to rest on the porch.

JJ relented, but didn't stop his story, "Look at all that. All right? That's paint!" He straightened up and took a breath, which it seemed like he hadn't done since he began telling the story, "At that point I was just like ... I'm waiting for death."

Pope put his head in his hands, "O-Okay, so you saw the guys that shot at us, right?" He asked, sparing a small glance over at Rylee, who had gotten the best and longest look at the men.

"Yeah," JJ answered, though it wasn't his response Pope was waiting for. Rylee nodded her agreement.

"Okay, um, did you get a good description of them? What did they look like?" Pope continued, his mind beginning to move a mile a minute.