seventeen - an alibi .

Early the next morning, Rylee was working her shift at Midnight Marine

Early the next morning, Rylee was working her shift at Midnight Marine. They were still down one of the mechanics, so she was trying to take on some of the more simple jobs in the bays. She had learned her fair share of boat maintenance, but nothing like she'd need to to keep up with the other mechanics. The garage was sweltering and muggy, adding to Rylee's misery.

As soon as she finished with the rig she was working on, Rylee wiped her hands on a rag and threw it off to the side as she tried to catch her breath. The lack of air conditioning was starting to get to her. She had a few minutes to take a break before her next job would be pulled into the garage, so she took a moment to cool off in the restroom.

After locking the door behind her, Rylee turned the cold water on and splashed her face with it, sighing in relief as the cool droplets calmed her flushed cheeks. She took a moment to stare at her reflection in the cracked mirror, and she angled her head from side to side to examine both sides of her neck. She had fared better than she had thought she would, with only a couple of bruises along the base of her throat where Rafe's thumbs had been when he wrapped his hands around her neck the night before. Swallowing hurt a lot more than she cared to admit and her head was still pounding. Anger coursed through her veins every time she thought about the fact that Rafe Cameron had literally choked her the night before.

However, when she woke up that morning, Rylee was still wrapped tight around JJ's body, and he had been awake, stroking her hair and staring at her. Every time Rylee thought about that, her heart skipped a beat. The thought of it alone almost made the pain disappear.

The Pogues had been going through so much, more than normal, but Rylee felt hope take root in her chest and it was slowly blooming and growing. Maybe they had missed out on their buried treasure, and maybe the Kooks were going to be coming after them even more now. But maybe Rylee and JJ would come out of it all okay, and they'd have each other.

Snapping herself out of her thoughts, Rylee nudged the faucet off and dried her hands before walking back out to her bay. A new boat had been pulled in and parked, and Rylee grabbed the clipboard with the maintenance information, slowly skimming through the items to prepare herself.