twenty-seven - mirrorball .

TW: Abuse

TW: Abuse.

"We gotta be done before my scholarship interview in the morning," Pope reminded the girls as he pulled up in front of the Château, shifting the truck into park.

"Okay, well, we gotta focus," Kiara agreed, giving Rylee's hand a big squeeze.

"I know, it's gonna be fine," Pope said, speaking more to himself at that point than he was to Kiara and Rylee. He began to reexplain the details of his plan as they all got out and rounded back to the truck bed.

Rylee had remained in a state of shock at her mother's house for several minutes, even as Kiara tried to get through to her. Pope eventually came looking for them, and between the two Pogues, they managed to get Rylee out of the house. Pope offered to take her back to the Château, told her he and Kiara could manage to get the steel drum on their own, but Rylee had managed to shake herself out of it for the most part. She wanted to head back to the house in the morning, to try and decide what to do with the wreckage, but more pressing was the task to get the gold.

The stop at the Midnight Marine had been quick and relatively painless, though she hadn't liked the feeling of stealing from Noa. She hoped they'd be able to return the drum before anyone even noticed it was missing. Now that they had everything they needed, they were back at the Château to begin assembling Pope's master plan.

Rylee filled her arms with rope from the truck bed, her eyes downcast as she began to trudge her way slowly around the house to the backyard. She could hear Kiara and Pope speaking to each other in low voices, but she tuned it out. It didn't feel like their words were exactly meant for her to hear anyways. 

A loud, whirring noise broke through the stillness of the night, quieting the chirping of the cicadas. The noise broke Rylee out of her thoughts, her feet stuttering to a stop as the entire yard illuminated with multi colored string lights before her eyes. Confusion filled her and she narrowed her eyebrows, casting a backwards glance towards Pope and Kiara whose expressions matched her own. Not only were the lights a brand new addition to the yard, the Cut still didn't have power, and without a generator, the lights wouldn't even be possible.