Birth, Circles, and the perfect generation

I have yet to talk about our fellow circles. Before I can tell you what status they have in Flatland, I need to tell you how to come to be. You see, there is this law of nature among our fellow Flatlanders;

"It is a Law of Nature with us that a male child shall have one more side than his, father, so that each generation shall rise (as a rule) one step in the scale of development and nobility. Thus the son of a Square is a Pentagon; the son of a Pentagon, a Hexagon; and so on."

Every equal-sided son in Flatland will have one more side than his father. For example, if Bill were to have a son (I know, weird thought), they would be a square. And his grandson (even weirder to think of Bill as a grandpa) would be a pentagon. So how do circles come to exist? It's fairly simple.

"Finally when the number of the sides becomes so numerous, and the sides themselves so small, that the figure cannot be distinguished from a circle, he is included in the Circular or Priestly order; and this is the highest class of all."

Every generation in Flatland becomes better and stronger than the last

Every generation in Flatland becomes better and stronger than the last. Having children is a must and almost required. Each child will be born with more and more sides. And one day, they'll have so many sides that you won't be able to count every side. This is how circles come to be. They can't be true circles but are close enough (keep this in the back of your head for later). The circles are the highest class. They are the government, the high priests, they are in control and on the top. Everyone wants to be a circle and more importantly, everyone wants to have a circle in their family tree at some point. So someone like Bill is also extremely important (also keep this in mind), as equilateral triangles are the start of this process of eventually creating a circle way down the family tree. Society is driven by the need to have the most circles as possible.

Lets review:

- Bill is from the 2nd dimension, a world filled with different kinds of shapes and lines known as Flatland.
- Bill as an equilateral triangle is part of one of the lowest classes in society and is thus mistreated. Flatland has a social hierarchy that has triangles at the bottom, squares next, then pentagons, etc. Circles are at the top of society.