8. Internal Conflict

Bryce’s POV

Bryce’s POV

He looks so adorable-

NO!

But he does. Look at him. He’s so sweet-

NO!

Don’t ignore me. I’m telling you the truth…

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! No! There’s no way I can find Max attractive. Sure, he does have huge blue eyes. And curly hair. And freckles on his face. But I’m allowed to call another guy cute without being… gay!

“BRYCE!” Max whispered. I snapped out of my trance. I looked away from Max to look at… Max again.

“Um, yeah? Wassup?” 

“I asked if we should leave or stay.” He whispered.

“Leave. I think the coast is clear.” I said. I haven’t heard any noise for a few minutes.

Not to mention, the closet is pretty cramped. My body is basically touching Max’s. And I can’t help but hate myself for wanting to feel more. 

I slowly opened the door and cringed when the heavy metal creaked. I poked my head outside and turned my head left and right. Nothing. The lights seem to have been turned off, only light from outside coming in and barely illuminating the halls.

“I think the coast is clear.” I whispered. I got out the closet and waited for Max.

We’re both out the closet now.

“Over here. There’s a back exit.” Max whispered. Using our flashlights, we maneuvered the halls until we opened an old wooden door. Upon opening, the bright sun shone on our faces.

I turned to see Max with his hands on his knees and gagging at the floor.

“Oh- Oh God.” He gagged out.

“Are you well?” I asked, worried about him.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just claustrophobic. That’s all. Being in the room was a lot for me.” He said.

“What can I do to help?” I put my hand on his back and rubbed it. 

“Honestly. You just being here is fine.” He breathed out.

“...” Silence

“I- I don’t know why I said that. Just ignore that.” Max added quickly. He stood up straight again as his face was red. It was kinda adorable.

STOP THAT!

I’m not gay! I can’t be. I’ve had sex with girls only! I’ve never been attracted to a guy before. That just seems wrong!

“Let’s go home. It’s getting dark.” I said. I listened to what he said. I ignored what he said. But at the same time, those words stuck in my head. Does that make sense?

I think it might be because we’re great friends.

“That was a fun day.” He said. 

“Quite eventful. Especially with your face full of mustard.” I giggled.

“Great. Now you’re gonna tease me about it, huh?” He scoffed.

“Aw come on! You can’t lie. It was funny.” I said. Max hopped on his bike.

Max and I pedaled our way home. The sun began to set on the horizon. Goodbye another day. But at least I can say this day was well spent.

As I pedaled, I turned my head to see Max. He was taking in the free hair that blew through his hair. His curls were waving in the wind as the air tussled them in different directions. 

It’s crazy to think that for 12 years, Max was someone I never talked to. Someone who was there, but I never actually talked to. And so far, I’ve had more fun with him than anyone in the past years of my life. 

I kinda don’t want to think about after summer. It pains me that we have such a short amount of time to be together and have fun. 

Because if I’m being honest, Max is right, I’m gonna miss this town.

------

i'm not sure if i feel happy or sad or stressed. it's kinda like a mixture of all. i've realized that i'll always be stressed. which is not a good thing.

bye! i love you all!

<3