12. Revealed

John B was quick. Before the surrounding salt water was able to fully wash away the odd fish scale, he got ahold of it. He'd seen quite a bit of fish scales in his time but none like this at all.

He had a hunch. But nothing was making sense. He didn't have enough answers. He was back at the Chateau sitting at his father's desk with a magnifying glass. He examined the scale. Another voice spoke inside his head telling him he's crazy for even thinking about it. For bringing home some random fish scale off the beach. How was he to know every fish in the sea? He thought.

There was just too many things about her that didn't add up. Her. Blair... Just the thought of her made his heart skip a beat. But now it was also joined by confusion. And it hurt, he thought he knew everything about Blair. At least he used to. But ever since she got back she was just.. different.

~

Blair met John B back at the Chateau. She felt awful after leaving him like that at the beach. She wasn't even sure how she was going to face him but she knew she had to.

John B opened the door and Blair walked in. They both just stood a bit awkwardly.

Blair sighed. "We need to talk."

"Okay, so talk" John B's tone was more serious than he thought.

Blair's stomach was in knots. "It was really great hanging out with you today, I really missed that." She twiddled with her fingers as she spoke.

"Where did you have to go that you could swim to faster than you could walk?" John B didn't want to avoid it anymore.

Blair couldn't seem to find her words. She couldn't bring herself to meet John B's eyes either.

John B took a few steps towards her, feeling bad for being a bit harsh. "I can't make you talk to me. But I wish you would. There's just so many things about you lately that just don't add up."

"I think you're exaggerating a bit, John B" Blair still avoided eye contact as she talked.

"We used to spend every day of summer in the water, swimming, surfing, diving just for the hell of it, cliff jumping? And now you won't even go near it. But when you do, you disappear?"

"I know you're hiding something. Whatever it is, I'm not going to judge you." He stepped closer, they both stood near the kitchen counter. He took her hand in his.

"You can't just run and hide forever." She looked up to finally meet his eyes. "I know this secret has something to do with water." His eyes pleaded for answers. She shook her head. "No"

John B didn't want to hesitate anymore. In a quick instant, he took a half drinken bottle of water off the kitchen counter and drenched Blairs hand he still held.

Blair's heart dropped at his sudden outburst and his eagerness. He looked at her in fear and slight regret, unsure of what he just did.

She laughed in disbelief. She shook her head, seeming annoyed now. He was really that desperate to know, she thought.

John B was confused by her reaction. Blair pulled her hand away and shook off the excess water.

"You really want to know that bad?" This time it was John B who couldn't speak.

Blair shook her head once more before grabbing John B's arm and pulling him outside to the dock.

He was confused and scared. He had no idea what was about to happen. She stopped them once they reached the end of the dock.

She took in the sights around them to ensure that they were alone

She took in the sights around them to ensure that they were alone. "You really want to know why I avoid the water now? Why I can't surf anymore? Why I seem different?" She asked in a serious tone.

John B finally had gathered himself. "Yes, I-I do" He spoke with soft eyes.

Blair dropped John B's arm and let out a deep breath. "Let's just see how you handle this first."

"What do you mean?" John B raised an eyebrow.

"Just watch."

Blair raised her arm and faced her hand to the water in front of them. She turned her wrist and fingers as if she were turning a door knob, thus lifting an orb of saltwater into the air before their eyes.

John B's eyes widened in shock. He did not speak as he stared at the sight in front of him.

She used her hydrokinesis to manipulate the water to form the shape of a heart. John B was frozen in shock.

"There's more"

She then raised her same hand once again with all her fingers together and palm facing the water molecules and froze the heart.

She dropped her hold causing the ice heart to fall below back into the ocean. John B stared blankly into the moving water, mouth agape.

"H-how the hel-?" He managed to get out.

"I'll explain more later. You freaked out yet?" Blair turned to face him.

After a moment, John B shook his head. "I -I just still don't get why you can't get in the water?"

"There's still more"

Blair reached her hand out to him. "Please just promise me you'll still be my best friend after this?"

John B took her hand a bit hesitantly, "Always." He looked into her crystal blue eyes seeing the worry in them.

"How much crazier can it even get?" John B's voice was uneasy.

"You have no idea"

She squeezed John B's hand, "Just follow me..." He nodded slowly. She pulled him forward as they took a couple of steps to the very end of the dock. She let out a deep breath,"....3....2....1"

She pulled him into the water with her as she jumped off of the dock. The salt water splashed loudly as the two of them were submerged beneath the surface.

She'd let go of John B's hand, her tail now was revealed in the blue sea water. John B shook his head while the last of the air bubbles of their jump rose to the surface. His eyes began to adjust to the sights around him.

Blair swam forward and then back around to face him. He finally met her eyes within the saltwater. His eyes drifted down to the rest of her. Her scales and fin that appeared where her legs once were, were now fully exposed to him.

He had no idea what was happening. This has to be a dream or something, he thought. He let out a gasp of air almost inhaling a breath full of ocean water, before Blair immediately swam up to him and covered his open mouth with her hand.

She looked into his eyes warmhearted and worried, while his were wide open with shock and fear. Mostly fear of how this could even be possible.

That the girl he loved was half... fish?

 fish?

~~~