23. Dried out

It had been almost a week of Blair staying away from the water. She noticed the first two days, dry patches were appearing on her torso but she ignored them hoping it would be fine. Today she noticed the dry patches spreading, now on her legs and arms.

She stood there in her bedroom wearing a blue bikini, eyeing herself in her mirror. She traced her fingers on the dry, scaly areas on her forearm.

She sighed and searched for a sweatshirt and sweatpants in her closet. After finally finding a dark grey hoodie and matching pants she met her cousin downstairs where she was cooking.

"Morning" Blair chimed sitting on the counter.

Kiara raised an eyebrow "Morning? It's like 1pm" She laughed handing her a plate and placing a grilled cheese on it for her.

"It's morning for me, and thanks" She smiled at her and began to dig in to her sandwich.

Kiara sat and ate hers as well. "I'm heading over for my shift at The Wreck in a few, you can come out and help if you want? Ya know, make some extra cash?" She exclaimed.

The dry skin all over her body ached badly. And the thought of working didn't make it feel any better. She wanted to stay home and find ways for the pain to stop. "I think I'll just take care of some chores here." She took the last few bites of her sandwich and cleaned up her plate.

"Suit yourself, but you're still coming to the chateau for game night tonight" Kiara pointed and headed off after Blair took her plate as well. She sighed in hopes of her pain being gone by then.

She was also nervous about seeing John B after their kiss the other night. Each of the pogues had been busy recently so none of them had the chance to get together again, until later today.

~

"It's like 90 degrees out why are you wearing that?" JJ teased as she entered the chateau. She remained in her grey sweats as she didn't want to worry anyone of her skin's condition. Although the pain of her dry skin did not fade at all. It had worsened as the hours went by.

She shrugged "I'm comfortable, besides it'll get cold tonight anyways." She said walking past him and sitting between Pope and John B on the couch. He smiled as soon as he saw her, which she instantly returned.

"So I've got Monopoly, Jenga, or Uno?" Kiara said holding all three of the board games she'd brought. She set them down on the table in front of them and sat beside Pope.

JJ laid down on the other couch across from them taking his hat off. "You guys play, I'm tryna take a fat nap." He turned over burying his face in the cushions. Blair smiled shaking her head at him.

"Well, night JJ" Kiara sighed.

"Monopoly?" Pope suggested, looking around for everyone's response.

"Sounds great to me" Blair said ready to have a fun night with her friends.

Pope set up the game on the table, she watched him as she began to notice a bead of sweat dripping down her forehead. She wasn't going to admit it but she was dying of heat. She quickly wiped the sweat with her sleeve. She glanced outside seeing the sun was nearly set, hoping desperately for a chilly night.

"Did any of you guys see the news this morning?" Pope glanced at Blair. "It was about those guys. Sheriff Peterkin reported the bodies washed up on shore. They assumed the guys died at sea because of sharks but they saw the marks on their bodies and found out they were bleeding from their brains. Ward's been all over it trying to link it to the whole mermaid discovery thing." He trailed off.

It was silent for a moment. Only JJ's soft snores were heard in the room. Blair looked down at the floor feeling flooded with guilt.

John B sorted out the Monopoly money as he spoke. "We don't have to talk about that. Come on let's get this game started." He handed Blair the Scottish terrier dog token, as he knew it was her favorite.