Chapter Three

So, here I am, spying on this stupid Prince.

I sigh for the hundredth time and raise the binoculars to my eyes, adjusting the zoom at the top of them. I lock my gaze onto the prince, surrounded by body guards and other people of importance. I shove the binoculars back into my beach bag and slide down the sunglasses on my head.

I leave my hiding spot and head into the crowd of people, needing to get close to see what I can find out. I adjust my frilly shirt, which I hate by the way, and tug at the belt loops on my high waisted shorts, which I also hate.

Lets just establish I hate playing dress-up in order to blend in to the crowd. I'd rather be in my assassin gear.

I slowly work my way through the people, who are mostly girls, and finally reach my hands onto the metal barrier. I feel like I'm at some teen, boy band concert.

I cringe at the thought.

The prince is working his way around the semi circle of people. He tries to shake every hand and kiss every baby that is thrust at him. I take notice of the woman following beside him, who is also receiving attention from the fans. She wears a big fancy hat and a modest, cream colored dress. She smiles and chats enthusiastically to most of the people.

They are nearing where I'm standing and I can hear what he is saying to people.

"Hello, how are you?" The prince shakes the hand of a woman nearby.

"I'm good thank you, are you excited about marrying the Duchess?" The woman quickly asks.

"Yes, very excited." The prince tries to be brief as he moves closer to me.

"Hi." He smiles at me directly and bows his head politely. His electric green eyes light up and he runs a hand over his curly brown hair.

I realize I haven't said anything, but then he moves down the barrier before I can say 'hi' back.

The woman who I assume is the Duchess passes by me and I take the chance to find out more.

"Excuse me!" I lean forward and grab her attention. "Hello, Duchess." I smile politely.

"Good day, Miss." She beams back at me.

"Where are you and the Prince off to next today?" I tilt my head and try to look as innocent as I can. But that's hard when you are wearing sunglasses.

"We are going for a romantic walk in the nearby park."

"Oh, gosh, that sounds lovely." I grin widely as she moves past me and onto the next set of people.

My smile quickly disappears and I narrow my eyes, not liking the fake persona that the Duchess gives off.

I duck out of the crowd and run to the nearby public toilets. I quickly check its empty before going into one of the stalls and locking the door. I change into my assassin clothes, immediately feeling more comfortable. I slip my hidden blades in under my sleeves and lock my gun into its holster on my waist, tugging my shirt down over it. I flick up my hood and slip out of the cubicle and onto the street.

I sharply turn the corner and head down the ally way where I left my motorcycle. I shove the beach bag with my 'normal' clothes in it under the bike and leave again towards the park. I stick to backstreets and rooftops, avoiding drawing attention to myself.

I reach the park entrance and immediately duck for a bush when I see the Prince and the Duchess, surrounded by body guards. I watch them as they stroll slowly, admiring the nature and stone statues.

I hold back a gag as the Prince leans down to kiss the Duchess.

Ughk, love. What a both mundane and dangerous emotion.

*~*~*~*

"Ah, Raven. I assume you have made progress if not completed your mission." Snake greets me at the front door, a cigar hanging from his pale lips.

"Progress to some degree. I still have some work to do. The couple is highly guarded, as was expected."

"Couple?" Snake frowns.

"Yes, the Prince is engaged to a duchess. They spent all day together."

"I see. Well make sure she doesn't get in the way."

I nod in confirmation. Snake starts to walk forward again, before turning to me over his shoulder.

"And Raven? Hurry it along. The sooner that prince is dead the better." He adds, before leaving the hallway into the lounge room.

I retreat up to the attic and unpack my gear, changing into a grey t-shirt and black leggings. I stand in front of my mirror and examine my appearance.

My choppy looking black hair falls to just below my shoulders. My sapphire blue eyes stare back at me, and I frown at the imperfection across my left eye. A scar runs from above my eyebrow on the left and stops just above the eyeball. I untuck my side fringe from behind my ear so it falls over the deformity on my skin.

I huff disapprovingly and turn away from my reflection. I wander over to the circular window above my bed, looking out at the abandoned buildings and long forgotten factories that make up the area that I live. This house seems so out of place in this neighborhood of large sheds and shipping containers. But it's secluded and safe, well, if you can call a gang hide-out safe.

|||||||||||||||||||||