Chapter Fourteen

It continues to amaze me the amount of abandoned buildings that sit on city outskirts. This old service station has crumbled without attendance, leaving nothing but a square building lacking of electricity. I find comfort in these outcast buildings, though, because they are much like me. Alone, cold, and once had a life that they no longer have now.

I lean my head back against the hard counter as I cross my legs on the cold tiled floor. I drift my gaze to outside the dirty glass doors, where lonely fuel pumps stand in the middle of the concrete ground. I imagine people pulling up in their cars and filling up their tanks, before grabbing some snacks from this shop and heading off down the road again.

I never thought you could feel homesick for a person, until now. I was so emotionless before I met him, and it was so easy. And now I'm full of emotions and it's so difficult.

I pick up a small stone that's sitting beside my hand and throw it without effort across the room. My eyes blink slowly with fatigue, having not slept a wink in just under 24 hours. It's not that I don't want to sleep, it's that I can't.

How can one sleep when their mind is so loud with thoughts? When one's heart is so awake with pain?

I sigh for the hundredth time into the empty space around me. I'm all alone, which is exactly what I wanted.

So why aren't I happy?

My eyes beg me to close them, just for a minute. So I do, and before I know it I've fallen into a unpleasant slumber. My dreams turn to nightmares in my sleep, my memories and thoughts being turned against me. And it's out of my control. Unable to escape the fear or the pain or anything in between.

But amongst the bad dreams and frightening thoughts, I see a light. A small ray of sunshine. This sunshine comes in the form of words.

'I love Fylnn.'

The more I reach for the words the more they slip further and further away until they are in a position forever out of reach.

He'll never know how I feel. And I'll soon be forgotten.

*~*~*~*

A deep voice coughing abruptly wakens me. My eyes shoot open, while stiff pain shoots through my body from sleeping on a hard floor.

I look up from the feet of the man, following his recognizable body up to that familiar face.

And my blood runs cold and thin as I whisper his name.

"Snake."

||||||||||||||||||||

A/N- I know this chapter was short but the next one will be long (which will also will be the final chapter) and then the epilogue and one last authors note. Thanks for the support :)