Chapter Four

The tires of my motorbike crunch against the wet gravel. I lean to put my foot on the ground and flip down the stand. The frosty evening air pricks at the hairs on my neck as soon as I pull off my black helmet. I swing my leg over the seat and stand with two feet on the ground.

"About time you got here." Snake grumbles from behind me.

I turn to watch him and other members of our gang walking towards me from a large factory building.

"The dealers will be here any minute. Go scout the area, now." He says, particularly bossy today.

"Yes, sir." I nod, flipping up my hood and heading off to the side of the building.

After a full sweep of the area, I join Snake and the others inside the abandoned factory. They crowd around a table, organizing the payment and discussing business. My ears tune in to the sound of crunching gravel outside the doors.

"They're here." I notify Snake, before taking a step back into the shadows.

Five men in suits enter the building with their business faces on. Snake steps out in front of his men, just as the other gang stop walking. The short man with a grey beard steps out to greet Snake with a handshake.

"Glad to be doing business with you, Haymitch." Snake small talks.

I size up the other four guys, pinpointing weaknesses. Judging by the tallest ones uneven posture, he has a prosthetic leg of some kind. The other three all look pretty much the same, all sporting a rough outline of a gun under their jackets. I scan my eyes around the large room, locating exits and possible attack points, in case things get ugly. After all, that's what I'm here for.

"You have the goods?" Snake carefully asks, trying not to sound intimidated.

Compared to that group of men, our gang looks quite weak. I can see Ajay in my peripheral vision, his eyes darting worriedly from each person. I sigh, but not loud enough that any one else can hear it.

"You have the full payment?" Haymitch asks Snake.

Snake clicks his fingers and one of his men bring forward the sliver briefcase, opening it up to show the valuable money inside.

"All of it's there?" Haymitch confirms.

"I promise you, and I'm a man of my word." Snake replies and I force back my urge to scoff at his lie.

"Bring me the goods." Haymitch speaks over his shoulder to one of his men, who rushes back out of the factory before returning with a silver briefcase of his own. He opens it to show the contents and Snake nods in satisfaction.

"And it's to the quality you promised?" He rubs his chin while still examining the valuables.

"I'm also a man of my word, Snake." Haymitch says with a small smile forming on his lips.

"I don't feel like you're telling the truth." Snake reconsiders.

"Are you saying I'm a liar? I only deliver goods of quality, Mr. Conwell."

I clench my jaw and straighten up my posture, aware of the movement between Haymitch's men.

"I only want the best, Haymitch. I've got the full payment here, it's a lot of cash."

"And I assure you this stuff is worth every penny."

"How can I know for sure?"

"Look, Snake. If you won't take my word for it then why are you wasting my time?"

"Wasting your time? You were the one who rang me for this deal."

I narrow my eyes onto each of Haymitch's goons as they hover their hands over the guns at their waists. Snake's men are slower to catch on to what's happening, and haven't yet even gone near their weapons.