013

Zi-ning left the manor early in the morning to make the trip to the jeweller's like she had planned. She hadn't seen any sign of Lady Min or Meiyan before she left, although she did overhear some of the maids grumbling about having to clean up the mess in Meiyan's room last night. Clearly her sister hadn't been too pleased with the outcome of yesterday's gathering and had taken out her frustrations on the household décor.

Her lips curled up in a slight smile as the carriage trundled down the cobbled streets, making its way towards the heart of the city where all the big shops were.

Han Meiyan, this is only the beginning.

If her sister thought that this little setback was the worst that could happen to her then she was sorely mistaken.

Fifteen minutes later the carriage came to a stop in front of the jewellery shop and the driver called out to inform her that they had reached the destination. Hana lifted the curtain of the carriage and Shujin quickly helped their young mistress alight.

He's Jewellery was the most famous jewellery shop in the capital because it carried the latest and most exquisite pieces that any woman could desire. The shop was run by a portly man called He Jun, although he was not the designer of any of those sought-after pieces. The creative mind behind He's Jewellery remained one of the kingdom's greatest mysteries and although many people had tried to uncover the identity of the person behind the scenes, Hong had kept his lips tightly sealed, always having one excuse or the other to evade the question. Eventually people just gave up trying to find out. After all, what mattered was that the shop remained open and new pieces of jewellery filled the shelves every now and then.

"Good morning, young miss," the young shop assistant greeted Zi-ning politely when she entered. "Are you looking for any in particular today?" The boy looked no more than fifteen and kept staring intently at Zi-ning as if dazzled by her beauty. It was quite amusing to watch, and Shujin and Hana couldn't resist bursting out in light giggles behind her.

Zi-ning shot them a warning glare before turning back to the assistant and saying, "I'm here to see Mr. He. Is he around?"

"Oh, you're looking for the boss?" The boy took a brief glance at the door leading out back. "Well he doesn't usually meet clients unless it's a special circumstance," like when royals or high-ranking members of the nobility showed up, "but..."

"Please. There is something I need his help with," Zi-ning said, smiling warmly.

The boy's cheeks immediately flushed bright red. "In that case, just give me a second. I'll see if he's available." He bobbed his head and rushed through the doorway, disappearing into the back room.

"Miss, he's so cute," Shujin laughed. "I think he thinks you're a fairy from the heavens!"

Zi-ning smacked her maidservant lightly on the arm, though a tiny smile danced at the corners of her lips.

After a short wait, the assistant returned with the owner of the shop following behind. He Jun was in his forties, although his receding hairline and large paunch made him look a little older.

"Good morning, Miss..."

"Han. I'm the second daughter of Minister Han," Zi-ning replied, returning his greeting politely.

"Ah of course. Welcome, Miss Han. How may I be of assistance today?" Hong asked.

Zi-ning was certain that He Jun had seen her before, because this was not the first time she was stepping into this shop. The difference was that the girl who came here before had been decked from head to toe in everything and anything that sparkled, determined to put everyone else to shame by behaving like a walking jewellery rack. Today, she was wearing a dark green and ivory dress with her silky hair pulled back neatly and held in place by a single silver hairpin. But if the owner of the shop was surprised at the change, he made no show of it whatsoever.