022

Zhenzhu opened her mouth to say something in retaliation, but Zi-ning quickly put her arm on her friend's shoulder to stop her from doing so.

Taking Zi-ning's action as admittance to the remark, Sangya smirked. "Han Zi-ning, don't think that things have changed just because the crown prince spoke to you a few times. Men are just interested in things that are unusual, things they find fresh, but after a while they'll just get tired and move on to something new. Prince Ru-quan isn't going to pick you to be his consort just because you can play a tune on the zither. Anyone can do that."

"Is that so?" Zi-ning replied nonchalantly. "If that's the case then why are you so bothered?"

Sangya's lips hardened in a thin line as she glared at Zi-ning. Her cousin Liru patted her on the arm gently to calm her down. Stepping forward, the other girl said, "Miss Han, you are a guest in our home today so it would be inappropriate if my words were too harsh, but I just hope you understand that everyone has their rightful station in life and it would be best if you didn't hanker after something that doesn't belong to you."

While Zi-ning had not been well acquainted with Ouyang Sangya before, the same could not be said about Ouyang Liru, daughter to Minister Ouyang's younger brother. In her previous life, Liru had high hopes of becoming princess consort to the eighth prince, and was a shoo-in due to her close relations to the then-crown princess Sangya. However, the tables were turned when the eighth prince personally chose Zi-ning to be his bride instead.

Liru shared the same delicate, almond-shaped face as Sangya and had large eyes that always looked watery, like tears could come streaming down her pretty face any moment. But it was all a façade. Zi-ning knew what Ouyang Liru was capable of, and there was a snake hiding behind that innocent demeanour.

"What's going on here?" Meiyan's voice joined in and she came walking up from behind together with Minjing and a timid Meisi.

"Liru was just reminding your sister," Sangya shot Zi-ning another death glare, "about how people should know their place."

"Zi-ning may not be familiar with protocol because she's been away for such a long time," Meiyan said, smiling sweetly. Although she sounded like she was defending her sister, the reality was that she had indirectly admitted that Zi-ning's behaviour had been inappropriate.

Zi-ning didn't bother to say anything in her own defense. Instead, she stood there quietly listening to what they had to say, a bemused smile toying on her lips.

A scene similar to this had taken place at this exact same party before, except that back then it hadn't been triggered by the crown prince's presence. Prince Ru-quan hadn't attended the old madam's birthday celebration then, neither had the Shadow Lord. Instead, the girls had been mocking her for showing up in a bright red and orange dress and laughing at her for having tried to catch the eye of Huang Nansheng when he walked by. In her defense, she hadn't been trying to do that, but it was hard for people not to notice her when she was dressed like a walking lantern. In the midst of their taunts, someone had shoved her from behind and she had gone tumbling straight into the lake.

Meiyan had already sauntered up to her side, behaving just like the protective older sister she was supposed to be. "Can I ask everyone to go easy on Zi-ning, for my sake?" she said.

"Han Meiyan, what makes you think I would do anything for you?" Sangya scoffed. "Your sister isn't the only one who needs to learn her place. If you're the daughter of a concubine you shouldn't be parading around as if you're of true noble birth. If she isn't worthy of the crown prince, then all the more you won't be. Isn't that right, Liru?"

Zi-ning could see Meiyan's shoulders stiffen and she knew that Sangya had struck her right where it hurt most. Her mother's initial status as their father's concubine was something that Meiyan could never get rid of, even though Lady Min was now the minister's official wife. For Meiyan, it would always be a blemish that tainted her otherwise perfect image.