046

Back in the capital, a dark cloud hung over the Han manor as Old Madam Sun and Minister Han ruminated upon what they had been told about the trip to Ryoko Temple. The entire family was gathered in the old madam's sitting hall, exchanging anxious glances with one another as they waited for the head of the family to respond to the situation. Meisi was particularly jittery, clutching on to her mother, Concubine Wan, for comfort and security.

After a long, suffocating silence, Minister Han picked up his porcelain teacup and flung it at Meisi. The cup shattered as it struck the floor in front of her feet.

"You utter disgrace!" Minister Han railed. His face had turned an ugly shade of purplish-red, nostrils flaring in anger. "You were sent to Ryoko to seek blessings for the family, and what did you do instead? How dare you climb into the prince's bed!"

Meisi shrieked, curling up on her chair. Her entire body was shaking with fear. She turned to her mother, pleading for help.

"My Lord, please, it isn't Meisi's fault! She was set up! The poor child is a victim in all this," Concubine Wan cried. Tears streamed down her delicately made-up face as she hugged her daughter close. "You must seek justice for Meisi, or else... or else her future is ruined!"

"How did you end up in Zi-ning's room!" Minister Han bellowed. "Don't think I don't know what's going on inside that little head of yours. Did you think that you could become a princess this way? I should have you sent to a nunnery right now!"

Meisi blanched. She immediately ran forward, throwing herself at her father's legs. "Father, you must help me. I can't go a nunnery! The prince will take me, won't he? If he does, then everything will be solved. If I become the princess of Hua, that'll be a good outcome for our family."

The old madam shook her head, sighing in disappointment. "Meisi, do you really think that the prince of Hua will marry you as his crown princess? Even if he accepts you, your position in his harem will not be high," she scolded. "How could you be so foolish?"

"But why?" Concubine Wan exclaimed. "Meisi is the daughter of a Minister. Even if the prince doesn't make her the crown princess, surely she can still be a high-ranking consort!"

Lady Min scoffed, regarding the other woman scornfully. "Like mother like daughter. Now we know where Meisi gets her impractical ideas from," she said.

"How is that impractical, Meisi is as good as any other young lady from the noble families, she deserves—"

"Enough!" the minister shouted, glaring at the bickering women. "It's not up to any of you to decide what the prince should do. If he accepts you, then you should count your blessings regardless of what position you are given. If he doesn't then you can pack your things and get ready to spend the rest of your life at Hushan Nunnery!" He waved his hand and his steward quickly furnished a new cup of tea. The minister swallowed everything in a single gulp. "If it was Zi-ning then things might have been better. At least we know that the Hua prince is interested in her, and he might have been willing to give her a good position in his harem," he muttered. "Speaking of which, is there still no news about her whereabouts?"

Other than Meisi's debacle, the entourage had returned home bearing unfortunate news—that they had encountered mountain bandits along the journey home and been separated from Zi-ning. Lady Min had been grossly apologetic the moment she returned home, weeping about how she should have done a better job in looking after Zi-ning and keeping her safe.

"No, My Lord," Lady Min replied. "The guards we sent to search for her have not returned with any news."

"How could such an awful thing have happened!" Old Madam Sun exclaimed, beating her palm against the armrest of her mahogany chair.