050

Zi-ning stepped into the main hall of the Old Madam's quarters, calmly ignoring the bewildered stares coming from everyone present. Besides Old Madam Sun, her father Minister Han was also present, still dressed in his official court robes and gauze hat. Evidently he had not had time to change out before the shocking news of her return reached his ears.

She walked forward, kneeling down and pressing her forehead to the ground respectfully.

"I have returned, Father, Grandmother. I'm sorry for having worried you with my long absence," she said.

"You... How..." Minister Han gripped tightly onto the armrests of his chair, narrowing his eyes as if trying to figure out whether or not the girl kneeling before him was truly his daughter. When he was satisfied that it was indeed Zi-ning, he bellowed, "Where have you been all this while! Don't you know that we've been searching all over for you? If you were going to go gallivanting then you might as well have not come home!"

Zi-ning kept her head bowed, hiding the scorn in her eyes. His daughter had fallen from a cliff and gone missing for an entire week, yet he didn't even bother to show the slightest bit of concern towards her. In fact, her father sounded angry that she had returned.

She knew why he was reacting this way. In his mind, a daughter that was unaccounted for for so many days was already a damaged product that was of no use to him. If he could not use her marriage as a stepping stone for his own political career, then she was worthless—better off dead. At least if she died, he could play the role of a grieving father and perhaps gain some sympathy from his peers and superiors.

"Let the child explain, for goodness sake," Old Madam Sun intervened, shooting her son a look of disapproval that warmed Zi-ning's heart. At least someone in this family still cared for her. "Zi-ning, what happened to you? Your maidservants came back and reported that you had fallen off the edge of a cliff during a bandit attack. How did you manage to escape?"

"Escape?" the minister scoffed. "Clearly those maids were lying about the cliff fall to cover for their young mistress! How could she have escaped from bandits unscathed?"

Someone cleared her throat—and it was only then that the minister and old madam noticed that there was another who had entered the room together with Zi-ning. A middle-aged woman dressed in sombre grey robes was standing beside the kneeling girl, and had been watching this exchange carefully the entire time. There was a slight furrow between her brows as she regarded the minister.

"Who are you!" the minister demanded.

The lady curtseyed politely, then replied, "Greetings, Minister Han, Old Madam," she said, unperturbed by the man's rude tone. "I have been sent by my mistress to escort Miss Zi-ning back to her home. My mistress sends her regards."

"And who might that mistress of yours be?" the minister scoffed, regarding the lady with disdain. He picked up his teacup and proceeded to drink his tea, not even bothering to give the woman a glance.

"Lady Li Wanle."

The minister blinked. Then he sprayed out his entire mouthful of tea. "W-w-what? L-l-lady Li?" he stammered.

Zi-ning smiled. It was just as well that Lady Zhulian, Lady Li's closest lady-in-waiting, had seen her father's horrid attitude towards her. She would no doubt report everything back to the lady.

Even Old Madam Sun looked taken aback by the response, but she still maintained her composure. "Forgive us for the poor welcome. Please, have a seat," she said, gesturing towards an empty chair. She turned her gaze towards Zi-ning. "You too. Get up, child."

Zi-ning nodded, picking herself back up to her feet. She helped Lady Zhulian to the side, then sat down beside the woman.

"I'm afraid I don't quite understand what's happened," the old madam continued. "Zi-ning, how did you come to make Lady Li's acquaintance? And why have you troubled Lady..."