Chapter 23

"If you could go back and have a different family, would you still go into the mafia?" I asked.

"Yes." He said. 

Before I could misunderstand he continued. 

"Yes because it's all I've ever known. I don't know how to live a normal life." He said. 

"But, if you were there to help me I would try." He said turning to look at me. I was tearing up from his words.

 I didn't know if I should distance us for a short time just so he doesn't hide anything from me or not.  He already seems hurt, what if I hurt him more? I can't be selfish, he's suffered too much. He deserves to be happy too. 

I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him. 

"I will be with you no matter who you are, Lorenzo." I said. 

"But why?" He asked releasing from the hug. 

"The reason why you barely spoke before was because your parents never let you. You were forced to be their perfect boy but never had an opinion or voice of your own. You grew up in pain physically and mentally, which led you to believe everyone in the world is cold. But you deserve to be happy to Lorenzo. If you want me to be with you, I will." I said with tears in my eyes. 

"I want to be with you forever Phoenix." He said and I smiled at him. 

I wanted to make sure he wasn't hiding anything else from me so I decided t ask him. 

"Is there anything else your hiding from me?" I asked, not wanting to feel betrayed again. 

"No." he replied and I trusted him. 

_____________

Time Skip - The next day. 

I was having breakfast with Lorenzo.

"Dante is having a voting." He said. 

"Every mafia member is invited to a voting where we will choose whether or not to keep him in the membership." He continued.

"What made them want to vote him out?" I asked. 

"He almost exposed the hidden mafia businessmen by killing his second wife. Since the police got involved." Lorenzo said. 

We finished our breakfast and he got ready to leave. I couldn't go with him since I wasn't a part of the mafia. 

"Be careful." I said worried. 

"Don't worry it's just a voting." He assured me. 

"But you can't trust De Luca, so just be careful Enzo." I said and he smirked making me confused. 

"This isn't funny, why are you smirking." I asked. 

"You gave me a nickname." He said with a bigger smirk. 

"I did?" 

"Yes, You called me 'Enzo', It sounded sexy coming from you." He said making me blush lightly. 

I can never get used to his teasing. 

"You'll get late go on." I said as we started walking towards the door. 

"Take care of yourself." He said. 

"I will if you do." I said. 

We kissed and said our goodbyes.

I saw him leave and shut the door. 

I know he has been a mafia for a long time but I can't help myself from being worried. 

I went in the living room and facetimed my mom and sisters for a while then watched a movie. 

I didn't realise when I fell asleep but I was woken up by a loud bang.