Escorting Gaara

"Why can't I go?" I whined as my shoulders slumped and Kakashi patted my head solemnly. "Please lord Hokage? Why won't you let me go?" I asked with a pout.

Currently, the Hokage had assigned team 7 for a mission, but for some reason, he wouldn't let me go with my team. He told me I had to stay in the village for another mission while my team went for a different one. I whined about it for a good while before finally giving in. Sakura was a bit skeptical to go without me but I reassured her everything would be fine. Naruto and Sasuke seemed a bit hesitant too for some reason but also left. Kakashi sensei gave me a head pat before leaving while I stayed in the Hokage's office. There was silence in the room while I and the Hokage had a stare down until there was a knock on the door. The Hokage told them a 'come in' and Shikamaru and some Hyuga boy with long hair walked in. Behind them, Genma walked in after two.

My face immediately brightened upon seeing the Nara boy. "Shika!" I cheered throwing myself at the boy and hugging him tightly. "Geez, woman." I heard him say. I pulled back and smiled. "It's been a while," I said, my voice naturally going back to its normal calm tone. Shikamaru gave a lazy smile, "Yeah, it has."

I smiled and nodded at the Hyuga in acknowledge who simply ignored me. I felt slightly hurt but didn't let it show. I then nodded at Genma with a smile for returned it with one of his own. We all turned to the Hokage. "I suppose you're all wondering why I kept you from your teams?" I nodded, Shikamaru shrugged and the Hyuga just huffed while Genma just stayed silent. "Well, all three of you are going on a mission together. Genma you're in charge."

There was a good minute of silence before I broke it. "What kind of mission are we going on?" I asked.

"It's an escort mission. You four with travel to the border between the land of fire and the land of wind and will escort back a team of genin who will be participating in the Chunin exams." The Hokage explained. "It sounds simple enough, right?"

I leaned over to Shikamaru. "I feel like there is a catch he isn't telling us," I whispered and Shikamaru nodded. "Definitely."

"Alright, may I please have the mission details," Genma asked and the Hokage handed him a scroll? "Please leave before sundown. It will take about 3 days to get there." The Hokage said and we nodded. "Alright team, go pack and be at the gate in 2 hours," Genma ordered we all nodded before leaving.

We all went our separate ways before coming to the gate. Surprisingly, I was the first one there which was a first since I was used to Sasuke always being first. So I just make small talk with Izumo and Kotetsu while I waited. Soon the Hyuga boy arrived and we waited together in silence. "Umm, since we are on the same team..." I started but didn't really know what to say. Darn my introverted self. " We should get to know each other...or at least each other's names. So umm I'm Ayame Haruno. What's yours?"

He was silent for a second, simply gazing at me. I kept a small smile on my face as my head was tilted towards the side as I looked at him, meeting his gaze head-on. "Neji Hyuga." He answered finally. "Nice to meet you Neji-san. You look older, how old are you?" I asked.

"...14."

"Wah- you're a year older than me. Sorry for the disrespect Neji-sempai." I said with a bow. Neji looked kind of shocked at her but quickly covered it up. "No need for formality. We are on the same level." He said looking away from me.

"Nonsense. I'm sure you're much stronger than me. I can feel it in your chakra as well."

Neji blinked. "You're a sensor?"

"Yep., I'm also very chakra sensitive," I replied looking around. "Genma sensei should be here in...3...2..1," I finger gunned at the ground right as Genma sensei landed. I smirked and looked over at Neji from over my shoulder. Neji blinked before a ghost of a smile appeared on his face.