6 - Morning Bed

(A/N: Remi is usually cool-headed, but when he's thrown off his feet, he really becomes so comical.)

My first impression of Remis was as expected. A spoiled, gullible young boy. He seemed to want to stick to me like mud to the heel of a boot. But just then, he acted completely out of context. Can urinating really change a person so much?

"I really don't like you. You piss the hell out of me. Just outside a few moments ago, I was begging for you to leave. Can't you leave?"

I smiled and carefully placed the utensils back onto the table. "Did something happen in the bathroom, Remis? You seem... off." I put on a concerned face and beamed. "Like I said before, I'm very worried for you."

"Mhm, no, I just really wish you didn't bother me. It's just that, I don't want to die." He proceeded to stuff two large white chicken breasts in his mouth and place his utensils back in place. His eyes drooped as his expression morphed into a dopey smile.

His response was prompt and completely innocuous, without any filter. It was so farcical that it made me want to stop trying and just laugh.

Ah, it turns out this person wasn't as I thought, after all.

How interesting.

Throughout dinner, I continued to be bombarded with completely candid statements that seemed to have no need for any response.

"You're a fucking brat, you know? I know everything, you're really to stupid. Your acting makes me wanna barf."

"Wait for it, my father and mother are gonna explode one day."

"I wish I could get rid of you, but I'm too scared of any plot correction happening in the otome game..."

My grin widened as I merely listened in on Remis' little grumblings. He seemed to be wholly unaware of his small mutters and just continued to blabber on about his dangerous thoughts.

Maybe I'll stick around for a little longer, after all.

----

(A/N: Remis' POV.)

My head hung low as I struggled to worm my way out of the sheets. The familiar velvet blue curtains were drawn neatly, allowing light from the delicate windows to stream in. Morning...? Puzzled, I rubbed my temple in an attempt to remember what might have happened.

...something exploded. I failed to cover my head with a soft pillow and of course fell off the bed as a result. I muttered loose profanities as I felt a stinging pain in the back of my head. I entered my mana heart and checked my reserves. Almost no mana was left in its pool.

I gritted my teeth. The remaining power in my core seemed to bubble up, jumping and whirling around my head like a hurricane. My body slowly grew hotter as the flames danced around me like armor.

I turned my head and saw the previously supple midnight blue velvet furnish slowly light up and fall to the ground as bright cinders.

"Ugh, shit." I grabbed the blanket and stamped out the fire hastily and saw the gray ash stain the silky white sheets. The heat surrounding me slowly died out as I calmed.

That goddamn assassin. Of course.

A trained assassin wouldn't just go straight for the target. They would account for all possible exits.

The window was covered, since he must have been fairly sure that a seven year old would be too scared to jump down a two story window. The door to the main hallway was already accounted for. He was blocking the direct path to the doorway while attacking us.

That left the bathroom. The bathroom was to the side of us, something we could've locked, something which Aileen could've reached, where she could hide in until morning. He wouldn't leave it. He had to move something inside to make sure his target was neutralized.

A drug. Perhaps even a red smokey vial that was hidden from someone until they entered the bathroom and couldn't escape.

Motherfucker. He couldn't just die, of course he had to make my life infinitely more difficult.

None of the maids dared to enter Aileen's room after the attempted assassination. The head maid of the mansion made sure of it, in case they accidentally erased any critical evidence and botched the investigation which would be conducted later.

So, for a week, until now, no one entered or cleaned the bathroom. That bathroom. The one with the drug inside. The one I entered because it was the closest to the dining room.

The red vial was meant to kill me. But I, unexpectedly, already unlocked my mana heart, which must have neutralized that little vial's effects until its mana ran out.

A mana heart's mana running out wasn't dangerous, but it does result in an innocuous little side effect. It removes the filter between your mind and mouth.

Essentially, whatever you think, you say.

...it would have been better if I just died instead.

I snapped out of my thoughts and gazed blankly at the burned bed frame. After fumbling around bed sheets haphazardly for a little while to try and hide the singed velvet, I moaned and stood up wearily.

I'll prepare to deal with my situation later. Perhaps, for now, I'll-

"Gueh?!" I jumped and tried to crawl away madly. Why is Cyrus in my bed?!

----

I gaped at his peaceful sleeping figure and, after a few seconds of frenzied deliberation, made a rough beeline for the door.

"Where are you going, Remi?" I slowly looked behind me and saw an angel, rubbing his eyes and beaming. The sunlight streaming in through the window behind him gave him an ethereal halo. I should try going abroad. I'll ask to go as soon as possible. I thought resignedly.

I quickly adjusted my expression and smiled light-heartedly. "Hi, Cyrus! You look well rested!" How the fuck did you get in my room, and how much did you see.

"You're acting differently than before, Remi."

"..." No, I'm sure he has interest in me now! I knew this would happen! This situation was the one I was trying to avoid!

Cyrus grinned and slid out of bed. He glided forward, blocking my exit smoothly and placing a hand on my cheek. "You're not going to call me a fucking brat anymore? Hm?"

He moved his head towards mine and placed his lips on my ear. His hot and moist breath was suffocating. "Don't try to run away, now~"

(A/N: Am I doing a good job? You guys satisfied?)