10 - Bruh

(A/N: Hey guys... author here. Yeah, I don't know what the fuck happened, but I fixed it. I sincerely apologize. I am not here to add more trauma to the world. What the fuck.)

I cradled the sleepy owl in my arms. I gently brushed its forehead with my hand, its warm feathers providing me with a fuzzy sense of comfort.

I thought back to a few hours ago. After my mana pool was somehow punctured, my mother announced that starting tomorrow, a fire mage was going to be coming to properly teach me magic. Thankfully, she seemed completely adverse to the idea that Oberon would teach me, but...

I shook my head, not wanting to think about it, focusing my attention back onto the owl. Its collar was still largely buried by its puffy light feathers, but a few gold flashes peeked out from its coat. I slowly sunk my hand into its skin and dug under the collar. ...what does this say?

Inscribed on the resplendent collar were foreign inscriptions. Beautiful hieroglyphs that seemed to brightly dance on the fine thin metal strip. I stared with an invested gleam. I brushed my fingers along the shallowly carved characters, and took out a pen to copy it down onto my notebook. Perhaps someday, I'll be able to decode it.

I pet the owl one more time before putting it back in its large makeshift cage. Looking at its loosely bandaged wing, I thought, he's going to be fully healed soon.

----

"Remi. This is your instructure. Meet Evan, a fire mage from the west." I smothered a chuckle. 'Evan'? I didn't expect to hear such a normal name in this world. How surprising. The sound of a familiar name made me feel at ease.

"It's nice to meet you, Master." I gave a winning smile and bowed curtly. I should win him over. Him being introduced to me by Mother probably means that he'll be with me for a while. Seeing as he'll be teaching me something that is extremely prevalent to my plan of staying as an extra, I should be considerably careful around him. "Although I am young, I promise that I will try my best to fulfill your expectations of me!"

----

Immediately after introductions, a class ensued. He mainly outlined the basics of magic in general, not even going into the specifics of fire. I was more than disappointed. Still, I was glad that my mother hadn't told him about my early advancement into magehood through self-study. It would be annoying if one more person found out about one of the main things I have been trying to keep secret.

We were in the Perchion greenhouse which was sealed from all people except for a select few servants and our family. Thus, I didn't have to worry about rumors spreading around the kingdom through gossipy mouths in the mansion.

The class soon ended and I was instantly excused by the teacher. He left in a whoosh, not even bothering to send his regards to our mother. It seems that he wasn't an ambitious one. Like his name, his presence was quite underwhelming. Then again, I wasn't complaining.

I flung my hands behind my head and whistled a careless tune. It was warm and sunny in the enclosed space. The quiet breezes from the doorway seemed to lull me to sleep. I yawned and found a shaded wooden bench to lay on. Just a quick nap after a boring class... I thought before drifting off to sleep.

----

A few weeks later...

I lightly caressed the snow owl's silky feathers. Its wing was fully healed now, the bandages were already taken off and it seemed to have the habit of shaking it frantically every so often to confirm that it was still mobile. I walked towards the slightly frosted glass door leading to the terrace and smiled bitterly.

Opening it and feeling the gentle cool air flow into the fireplace-heated room, I shivered. I placed the snow owl on the marble balustrade and gestured for it to fly away.

I smiled bitterly. Little by little, I had grown quite attached to the little owl, it would seem. When I slept, it slept with me in its large cage. When I woke, it was excitedly and madly scampering around the floor of its cage begging loudly for food. Over time, I had somehow begun to have one-sided conversations with it, sometimes just speaking random thoughts that I wasn't able to say to humans, sometimes confessing my situation and how it was near impossible to spend a day without Cyrus attaching himself to me by the waist.

If possible, I would have kept that little owl. But it had a collar already, a thin gold band with characters I couldn't read. Its owner was probably waiting for him.

I gave the owl one last peck on the beak and waved. Then just like that, it fluttered and soared away, leaving me standing idly on the chilly balcony in contemplation.

----

"Master."

The bird's caws from outside the lightly designed stained glass window pierced through the loud howls of the wind.

The owl watched the sleeping young boy stir on the fluffy circle-shaped bed. His groan of having been woken up contrasted to the deadpan expression showing on his face. He slowly sat up, propping his upper body on his arm, and rubbed his eyes sleepily. The air around him seemed to be sparkling. It seems that despite being at the young age of seven, his ikemen countenance had already become apparent.

"Tch. It's so unfair." The snow owl looked away from the bright halo surrounding the boy and grumbled sardonically.

The boy finally got around to looking up to the window to find the source of the sound.

His expression twitched as he saw the bird pasting itself to the window, with its snow-white wings pasted onto either side of the window. "Nore." He said. The owl's heart, despite being obviously straight, skipped a beat. That's because his master's voice was way too pleasing to the ears! It was smooth, deep, and gravelly. Even calling out the owl's name became slightly flirtatious!

The sparkles behind the boy became infinitely brighter.

The bird dramatically shielded its eyes with one of its wings. "It's blinding!"

The boy jumped up and opened the window. A gust of wind and snow entered the room, but the boy paid no mind and firmly grabbed the snow owl. "You finally came back. Just why did it take you so long?"

(A/N: Hello, fish number three~ ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ) or is it four?)