48 - The Plan

(A/N: Yup, I did a double update, and there is a chapter after this one. I keep my promises, you see.)

Meanwhile, outside the room...

Cyrus leaned on the frame of the door, his eyes narrowed to thin slits. A dark aura emanated him, showing killing intent. The servants scurried away from the hall. They were familiar with Fortier's heir and his behavior. In fact, it would probably only be their young master who was clueless to his abnormal tendencies. They pitied him, but what could they do? If the prime minister's son wanted to, a servant with no power could disappear without a trace. They weren't willing to take any chances.

The door of Remis' room opened, and a flustered prince scurried out, his ears tinged with a light pink. Cyrus' eyes turned darker. What could they have done in that room to make him so nervous?

His heart flared with a familiar feeling of spite. He didn't understand. Obviously, he was Remis's childhood friend, he was the one who was more familiar than him. What did the prince have that he couldn't get? Cyrus barked out a laugh, his heart seething. Obviously, it was him who should have received Remi's attention, and yet somehow, it was always stolen away.

Lucius halted, his ears pricking up. He turned around, his flustered face dissolving in the face of the man leaning nonchalantly with a scowl. The prince was originally cold; he was never someone who would look at someone with affection. His usual cold, expressionless face surfaced, and he slowed, stopping in front of Cyrus.

"Good morning," he said courteously. It was tinged with a hint of mockery. His bored eyes fixed on the seething man.

"Good morning," Cyrus replied with an equal indifference. Both of them stared holes through the other's head, the silence deafening. After a while, Cyrus cracked a nonchalant smirk and added, "I mean, good morning, prince."

Lucius just nodded in reply. Despite his indifferent demeanor, he knew exactly how the prime minister's son behaved. The king had long ago checked his aide's history, and it was clear that Cyrus had coveted Remis since they were young. The king wasn't happy and told Lucius to keep an eye on the minister's son to prevent him from taking his future aide. Lucius agreed with the king. After all, what right did a mere minister's son have to desire his aide?

"It is, indeed, a good morning. For me, at least." Lucius answered with deadpan eyes. Despite his monotonous tone, his words were sharp, piercing through Cyrus' vulnerability in one fell swoop.

Cyrus's mood soured, and the atmosphere around him chilled. He stepped away from the door frame and moved toward the stern prince. His eyes glinted with a cruel intensity as he clenched his fist.

Lucius appeared unfazed by the threatening gesture, his gaze locked onto his rival's face. Then, a sly smirk played across his lips, and he retorted, "I wouldn't advise doing that. After all, my aide is right behind the door beside you. Imagine what would happen if he witnessed your true nature."

Cyrus smiled, his thoughts hidden behind a veil. "I'm afraid I don't understand, prince." Despite his words, he slowly withdrew his fist and retained his harmless façade. "My dear Remi already knows everything about me. After all, I'm his childhood friend."

Lucius felt his heart clench at his words. "And, what good will that do you?" He refuted, but inwardly, his heart shook. Yes, that bastard had known Rem longer than me. He thought, his mood dropping. But what does it matter? In the end, he's my aide. He failed to reassure himself, the strange feelings he had taking over again and sending his thoughts into a different direction. I'll take that minister's son's place in his heart soon enough anyway.

Cyrus studied Lucius' inscrutable face, finding a trace of insecurity. He smiled. "Maybe you're right, prince. It might not do me any good." He grabbed Lucius's collar harshly in contrast to his frigid, indifferent attitude. "But I've known Remi for longer than you now. I know his likes, his dislikes, his preferences... and what good would that do you?"

The prince turned silent, his eyes unreadable. With that, Cyrus slowly released Lucius' collar and walked away.

----

As Remis changed, the glint of hope in his eyes shone brighter. My first target will be Theodore, that prick. He thought, buttoning up his collared shirt and stepping out of the walk-in closet with an assured gait. How dare he lie to me? An undercover capture target, fuck. I trusted him but he turned out to be Duke Audovár's fucking son.

Remis grabbed the small handheld bell on his nightstand and slammed open the bedroom door, his arm placed at his hip. Sister, it was a mistake to put a prince in my bed, you capitalist. You'll regret everything! Remis shook his hand, gently ringing the bell.

Half a minute later, a servant appeared, bowing. "Young Master, what do you require?"

"Get Eliad for me. Also, prepare the gazebo in the East Garden. Make sure it's clean. I plan to have afternoon tea there."

The servant nodded humbly and asked, "would you be drinking with one of our guests, Young Master?"

Remi cracked a wicked grin, his heart bubbling with satisfaction and contentment. "Hmm... you could say that. Prepare tea for two."

The servant bowed once more and scurried away. Remis stifled a few cackles and retreated back into his room.

----

(A/N: First person.)

Eliad should be here soon. Speaking of, I haven't seen him in a while. I mused. I should catch up with him while Sister has tea with that lying puppy boy.

My thoughts were interrupted by two curt knocks on the door. "Young Master, I have arrived."

"Come in," I said. The door opened, and a slightly flushed Eliad walked in. I raised my eyebrows in slight surprise. Did he run here? I thought.

He seemed to notice my observation and his face grew a shade redder. "I apologize, I was taking care of a matter on the south side of the manor."

I blinked. He ran here from the south side? Is he crazy? "Next time, you don't need to run here, okay?" I sighed and brushed my hair back. "Don't overexert yourself."

Eliad hesitantly nodded in response. "Of course, Young Master."

I waved my hand, pleased, and motioned for him to close the door. "Great. Come here, sit down. We're going to be hatching a plan so I can sleep peacefully tonight."

Eliad nodded, his face full of curiosity, but he didn't voice it, following my orders obediently and bowing. "Yes, Young Master."

----

At the end of my explanation of what happened the night before, Eliad was unable to conceal his rage. His face had contorted and his mouth seemed to have bent into a permanent frown. I found it quite laughable, there were only a few instances he showed his dissatisfaction with something. Usually, he kept on an air of professionalism, which I found comforting but boring.

I giggled. "You can speak your mind if you're also annoyed. I agree."

"Well, if you will allow me, Young Master." Eliad didn't hesitate, replying readily. "The prince is a figurehead of this nation. He is a royal and is the heir to the throne of Vires. How dare he? Not only is he poisoning your nobility, he's also defaming our kingdom! He should never have agreed to stay in your bedroom in the first place, not to mention crawl in your bed! Frankly, I don't know what the Young Miss is thinking either, she should never have allowed such a stupid person to do such a thing just because of a deal." Eliad rambled on, his mouth spouting hidden insults at Lucius. I nodded along, wholeheartedly agreeing.

"I concur. A deal with the royal family at the expense of our countdom's reputation? Sister went too far." I scoffed. Then my frown slowly drew into a grin, and I stood from the bed, grabbing hold of Eliad's shoulder and cackling dangerously. "Which is why I'm going to counterattack, and you'll be my accomplice."

Eliad's eyes fixed on the hand on his shoulder. He gulped, the tips of his ears unintentionally turning a shade of pink. "Y-yes, of course, Young Master." His hands fidgeted at his sides. My eyes turned towards them and I smiled in satisfaction. He must be just as resolute as I am. I knew it.

He coughed, his eyes still momentarily darting towards my hand. "Please give the order, and I will execute."