8 - Running to the Forest

I decided to take refuge in the woods that day. Slipping out after lunch, I slipped into the outer courtyard. It was fine. While I had never gone to the nearby forest before, there were always knights patrolling the area during the nights when I had tried to sneak out to practice magic. Just because they didn't patrol the outer gates during the day didn't mean that the forest was unsafe. And my mana pool was filled enough where I could at least light a small fire if necessary.

I sighed exasperatedly. "Why do I have to deal with this type of shit in the first place..." I grumbled under my breath. I fumbled with my soft black hair as I dashed away from the looming mansion. I reached the farthest gates and looked behind me. I knew for a fact that Eliad was trying to track me down at this very moment. And judging from his previous off-brand outburst just a few hours ago, I wasn't willing to take any risks.

Then I slipped into the woods.

----

The smell of fresh pine filled my senses. I breathed in deeply, feeling the joy of freedom. I had never left the mansion for all five years in this world, and the closest I had ever gotten to the gates was the outer courtyard door, where I would occasionally meet diplomats and their children. I wasn't far from the outer mansion gates, though. Around twenty minutes away, close enough so I wouldn't get lost, but far enough so Eliad and Cyrus wouldn't find me as soon as they figured out I had left the gates.

I sighed. How bitter my life was, to be worried about psychopathic stalkers following me to the forest. I flatly plopped my butt on the large rock positioned underneath me and contemplated my life existence.

I cradled my head in my hand and looked down onto the dirt floor, all the while feeling as if I was a middle-aged man going through his first mid-life crisis. I groaned and slid down the rock dramatically. Just then, a pure white-silver glimmer caught my eye. I peeped curiously to the side.

Through the small peeks of light through the trunks of trees, a small snow-white owl laid, sprawl-eagled, partly buried by vibrant orange and red fall leaves. I rubbed my eyes with my little palms and wearily stood. I wandered closer to the dazzling bird, treading carefully so as to not frighten it. I winced as my feet crunched on the leaf-riddled ground.

I hovered above the bird. My coddling gaze turned to horror as I saw a large wooden stick pierced through the owl's delicate left wing. "So that's why it wasn't spooked... it was unconscious." I murmured worriedly.

What is such a graceful animal doing in such a hot climate, anyway? I mused. I crouched down and gently, hastily slid my arms underneath the bird's body. Its feathers were unsettlingly cold, contrasting to the hot fall weather. I shivered and promptly harnessed the remaining mana in my body to heat up my hands. To my relief, I could feel its body begin to heat up under my prudence.

I studied the owl's white feathers for any other injuries and found that underneath its thick coat of feathers was an ornate gold collar, tight enough to be hidden from onlookers. The collar was beautifully decorated with carefully carved lines of inscriptions. I unconsciously as soon as I pulled on it. My frown deepened. I'll look at it later then. Goddamn it... the first time I caught a break and now I have to go back. Despite my inner protests, I still ran back to the estate, cradling the injured bird in my arms.

----

It was sunset by the time I arrived back at the manor. I slid through the gates, out of breath. A frantic, desperate scene greeted my eyes. gardeners running through the garden to and fro searching through the bushes, the mansion swarmed with worried maids with their dresses hitched up. Then, in the middle of the lawless and deranged scene was the agent of chaos himself, Eliad. His head swiveled around as he began yelling out orders.

I subconsciously clutched the owl's back as I watched my impending doom. His head turned and I could see him catch me from the corner of his eye. His aggressive glare bore a hole through my head. I immediately knew at that time: I had fucked up.

All or nothing—! I made a break for it, hugging the eye-catching bird closer, wary of his injury, and speed walked back to the outer side door. If I hurry, I can still escape...

But before I could reach for the handle, Eliad flashed in front of me. His figure towered over me and his arm pinned me to the doorframe. Déjà vu... I shivered from the cold touch of the metal doorframe.

Eliad towered over me. A shadow lightly obscured his face, making his menacing smirk even more forbidding. I could see a vein protruding from his forehead and his eyebrow twitching.

"Young Master. What is that in your hand?"

"...nothing."

"And would you care to explain just where you were for the past two hours?"

"..."

"You're really- hahhh... come with me."

"Huh?! Wait-"

----

I was carried to the parlour room, where Aileen, my mother, and my father were, along with the prime minister's family. Cyrus' 'angelic' gaze was permanently fixed onto Eliad's hands clutching my waist. I had already started to resign to Cyrus' behaviour towards me. As long as no more capture targets come in... it will still be under my control.

My focus moved.

After calming both my parents, the servants, and the prime minister's family down, Eliad forcibly dragged me to my room. I was both shocked and indignant. I had never considered the possibility that my parents would disregard my protests and trust Eliad.

And not just that...

"And, Eliad... make sure that after you finish dealing with my son in whatever way you want... bring him to me. I've been putting it off, but I think it's time to discuss the details of the assassination."

(A/N: Introducing a new fish in the pond for Remis next chapter~)