40 - The Knight's Love at First Sight

(A/N: Knight Reask's POV.)

The day before...

Reask changed into casual clothes and suited up in the gleaming armor prepared for him outside. The others were still training in the arena, but he was tasked to greet and escort a nobleman entering the palace and was excused.

Who could be so important for the marshal to come directly to the training area? Reask mused as he and another few other knights trudged to the main entrance of the palace to wait for the nobleman's arrival. Just after five minutes, the sound of horses approached. Reask scanned the carriage and instantly fixed his eyes on the emblem of the royal family flashing on its front.

He stood still with an incredulous expression under his helmet. It wouldn't be royalty, they have a separate squadron to escort them into the palace... He thought. Then it must be a very important guest. I can't afford to offend them. He breathed a shaky sigh.

Reask walked forward as the carriage drew closer, his eyes focused on the sparkling adornments of the carriage. One piece of it could pay off my debts... He thought regretfully. Then he shook his head and seriously fixed his eyes on the door of the carriage. The anticipation of all the knights grew. They all were extremely curious as to what important saggy old man would step out of the fancy transport.

The carriage came to an abrupt halt. The knights trotting around the transport dispersed, exposing the delicate gold-and-red door.

An old man in his eighties with a horrible temper... a potbelly, a greasy face, and a rotten stench. Sweaty, stubby hands which would feel like the insides of a slaughtered chicken if you touched it... All the knights shivered. Then, in perfect unison, they turned to the youngest of the group and threw him forward.

Reask, pushed towards the royal escort, shot a betrayed look at all of the older knights, but didn't dare cause a scene in front of the guest. So, he steeled his heart and reluctantly opened the door, gritting his teeth and consoling himself.

As he extended his right hand to assist the nobleman in descending from the carriage, his eyes widened as soon as he saw the boy who emerged from within. His heart raced so fast that he felt it might jump out of his chest. Oh... He shivered. I...

A stunning boy, with silky black hair and beautiful ruby red eyes, gingerly placed his hand on his and took a step down. His face was akin to an angel's, his eyelashes fluttering in the midday light, casting small shadows on his face. An almost imperceptible smile graced his lips, his eyes curved into a small crescent, as he stepped forward. Reask gulped and felt the places where the youth touched grow hot. He felt a strange, overwhelming feeling wash over him.

Suddenly, the carriage took a sudden jerk back. The black-haired noble cried in panic. His originally shaky legs had softened, and he tumbled helplessly towards Reask. The youth's head hit his chest, and Reask's arms instinctively coiled around the boy's waist to steady him.

Reask froze. He felt the breaths of the panicked nobleman, heavy and erratic, right next to his body. Blood rushed straight up to his face as he struggled to calm himself, frightened that the boy would hear his frantic heartbeats from underneath his armor. He's right next to me... I'm holding his waist... he felt the blush crawl down to his neck. His eyes grew bloodshot and his hold on his waist tightened. I-

His train of thought was interrupted by the awkward cough of the young lord. Reask snapped out of his daze and hastily released him from his grip, stumbling back.

​​"It's alright, thank you for the help." The young noble seemed to notice his flusteredness and offered a word of comfort, but it seemed to have the opposite effect. Oh... Reask felt a clump form in his throat as soon as he heard his voice and was unable to respond.