Pains

“Out!” He said.

She looked at him to see if he was drunk or something. She looked around to see what time of the day or rather night. It was still dark and  likely to be 1:00 AM.

“But.. It is midnight.” She said with a confused look.

He stared at her blankly.

“Are you trying to say I am blind?” He asked with a furrow in his eyebrows.

“No, it is just that…” She was cut off by a slap.

It took her by surprise and thereby waking the sleeping Ophelia up. How sound and loud the slap was.

Ophelia rushed to her mom's room the moment she heard it. She was about opening the door when she heard her dad talk.

“I said out.” He yelled again.

“Oh.. Okay.” She said and scrambled down the bed. She wore her slippers and exited the room.

“Ophelia.” Her mother called in surprise.

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping? What are you doing here?” She asked with tears glistening her eyes.

Tears were already streaming down Ophelia's face at the sight of her mother's reddened cheeks.

‘Mom.” She said and hugged her tightly Her mom smiled a little and hugged her back.

“I am okay.” She said with a sad smile while she tried to blink back the tears.

‘Let us leave.” Ophelia said all of a sudden.

“No, I can’t.” Her mom said.

“My teacher said that if someone is mistreating you, leave the person's place and go somewhere to stay then when the person is sober, he will come take you.” Ophelia said in hed chidlisb voice.

“Your teacher said that?” Her mom asked with eyes dilated in surprise.

Ophelia looked at her and nodded negatively.

“I read it in a book.” She replied.

Her mother sighed.

“We can’t leave and besides where would we go.” She said.

“Go back to sleep, I will use the guest room.” She said and took Ophelia back to her room.

“Sleep tight.” Her mom said and switched off the light.

As she was about to leave, Ophelia caught hold of her hands. She stopped and looked at her.

“I love you.” Ophelia said.

“I love you too.” Her mom said and kissed her forehead.

She left the room.

What happened the next morning was more shocking.

It was 7:00 AM in the morning. Since it was Saturday, Ophelia won't be going to school.

Maria had finished her house chores and was about to wake Ophelia up, when a car parked right in front of their house.

She stood and watched a lady come out with a girl. She narrowed her eyes to them.

‘Who are they and what are they doing here?’ She thought.

They walked straight in the direction of their door.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

She left the window side and went to open the door for the strangers. Maybe to tell them that they were at the wrong address or something.