Chapter 28

Poppy and Mason sat on the opposite couches with Mason's parents looking back at them processing everything they had just been told.
"Mason will come and work with me" Richard announced.
"Where are the two of you going to live?" Ellie asked.
"My brothers are going to college soon and my mom's really excited. We can live there" Poppy suggested.
"I'll work with dad and I'll do other stuff too. I'll work hard and I'll get us our own place" Mason told them, squeezing Poppy's hand lightly.
"You do realize that when this baby comes everything is going to change, nothing is going to be the same" Ellie reminded them.
"We know" Poppy almost whispered.
"We'll figure it out" Mason nodded, wrapping his arm around her protectively.

Archer entered the bookstore, the bell above his head ringing out as he entered.
"Good morning" Olivia called out from behind the counter, not looking up from the book she had propped open reading. Archer laughed quietly to himself as he walked over to the counter, closing the book, making Olivia look at him.
"Archer" she jumped to stand up straight "Sorry I didn't know it was you" she smiled nervously.
"Well you were pretty busy" he smiled "The time traveler's wife" Archer read the title out loud.
"It's a beautiful story, the two characters keep searching for each other no matter how much time and space has passed between them. Love withstands everything" she smiled shyly.
"I beg to differ" he scoffed.
"Is this about your mom?"
"Yeah. She and dad are sort of sleeping together but mom's also sleeping with this Chris guy" he shrugged "It's all so complicated" he sighed leaning onto the counter.
"Your mom and dad are always going to love each other, but maybe they need to just let go and love someone else" she suggested.
"We're you always so wise?" He smiled.
"Always" she joked "So why did you come in here today other than to listen to my genius" she joked.
"I'm leaving in three weeks for college and I was wondering if you wanted to-"
"Yes" Olivia said quickly making him laugh.
"Go to dinner with me" he smiled.
"Yes. That sounds great" she smiled widely.
"Cool. I'll pick you up at 7 tonight"
"Cool" she smiled as he stood up straight, giving her one last smile before he left the store. Once the door had shut behind him, Olivia jumped up into the air and did and awful and embarrassing victory dance.

Grace answered her ringing phone.
"Hello?"
"Hey Grace" Came Ashley's voice down the line.
"Ashley. How can I help you?"
"Leave my husband alone"
"You didn't seem to have a problem with that when I was married to him" Grace shot back.
"He's chosen me, and our baby. He wants this but he can't help himself around you. Please for everyone's sake just leave him be the next time you see him" Ashley pleaded.
"Okay. It's over. Everything, it's done" Grace told her before she hung up the phone. She put her phone down on the counter, thinking for a moment before she picked it back up, dialing Chris's number.
"Hey"
"Hey Grace" he smiled down the line.
"What are you doing tonight?"
"Seeing you" he smiled.

Grace headed downstairs into the kitchen, her heels in her hand.
"Where are you going?" Alex asked their mother.
"I'm going out with Chris tonight" she smiled slipping her heels on.
"Dad let you go?" Poppy asked.
"We let each other go" Grace told them.
"I'm sorry mom, Ashley's a bitch" Poppy frowned.
"Ashley is carrying your little brother or sister, your dad and I are going to let each other go and move forward. It's for the best" Grace smiled at them all "And watch your language, the baby can hear you" She said making Poppy smile. Archer entered the kitchen in a smart button up shirt and tie, bringing a tear to Grace's eye.
"Mom what's wrong?" Archer asked.
"God you look like your father" Grace laughed "Where are you going?"
"I have a date with Olivia" Archer smiled.
"She's a very lucky girl. Use protection" Grace smiled.
"Back at you mom" he smiled, winking at her and leaving the house before she could tell him off.

Grace and Chris sat one side of the restaurant in clear view of Archer and Olivia.
"I'm sorry. I didn't know he had a date tonight" Grace apologized as she took another look over to her son.
"It's okay but I'm sure you can take your eyes off him for a minute" He smiled, taking her hand across the table.
"Sorry. I just want it to go well for him"
"Trust me, having your mom watch your first date is embarrassing" he smiled.
"Okay, okay" she said "How have you been?" She smiled.
"I've been missing you" he admitted "Where have you been?"
"I've been busy, with Poppy being pregnant and I've been figuring things out with Silas" Grace explained with a sigh.
"I get it, it's complicated" he nodded.
"Complicated is an understatement" she laughed, taking a sip of her wine. As she did someone walked past the window that caught her eye, it was Silas, heading to the restaurant "Fuck" Grace cursed "I'm sorry in advance for this" Grace apologized again.
"Gracie" Silas called out from the doorway before he stumbled towards her.
"What are you doing here?" Grace whisper shouted under her breath at him.
"I needed to see you. Ashley shouldn't have called you for me" Silas slurred slightly.
"Ashley did the right thing. You need to go" Grace ordered standing to push him towards the door but froze when she smelt him "Your drunk" Grace could smell the whiskey on his breath.
"I had one drink and what does it matter?" he slurred slightly.
"Silas, go home. Go back to Ashley-"
"Ashley, Ashley, Ashley. I'm sick of hearing about fucking Ashley!" he shouted "I don't care about her. I want you Gracie!" he shouted again, ignoring the people around them as they turned to look.
"Let's get one thing straight, I don't belong to you" Grace spat, moving towards him, their faces inches apart.
"You'll always belong to me!" Silas yelled back "I own your heart, your body, your mine Gracie, no one else's" he glared at her.
"I don't belong to anyone. Especially not to you. I may have had your children but that does not mean I am yours" she bit.
"Just go Silas" Chris told him gently, pulling him back from Grace slightly.
"Get off me!" Silas bellowed shoving his hand off him before he moved to face off with Chris.
"Leave her alone. Let her go. It's the right thing to do" Chris told him gently.
"Fuck you!" Silas shouted pushing him.
"Just leave" Chris bit shoving him back.
"She's mine!" Silas shouted pushing Chris again and before long punches were thrown. Archer pulled Silas away from Chris before Grace ran to Chris to check him over.
"Leave. Now!" Grace ordered Silas as she held a napkin to Chris's bloodied nose.
"Son-" Silas tried to talk to Archer but he shrugged him off. Silas left the restaurant without another word or a glance back at his family.
"I'm so sorry" Grace frowned deeply.
"I can't keep doing this Grace. Please just go talk to him" Chris told her as kindly as he could.
"Mom?" Archer's voice was laced with concern.
"I'll be fine" she told him, making her way to the exit "It's your dad you need to pray for" Grace muttered under her breath just loud enough for Archer to hear.