Chapter 8

I have studied all day long and it is time for me to take a break. The break.

Danny and I are going to Beirut's Downtown area tonight to have dinner. And some fun.

Danny picks me up in his car and we go together from there. He parks in an underground parking when we arrive to the area.

"So let's see where should we have dinner." He says getting out of the elevator and putting on his jacket. We go out to the street. It is a beautiful street at night. Everything looks authentic and old. And the architecture is one of a kind. I think Downtown Beirut might become my favourite place. There is a roundabout in the middle and a huge clock in the centre. Around the streets, there are buildings made of stone. Some trees are planted on the entries. When we choose a street and start walking, we pass by very fancy international brands like Dior, Channel, Louis-Vuitton. All of them adopting the design of the place. Every now and then, there is a fancy coffee shop or restaurant with few tables on the sidewalk. I enjoy everything about this district.

"Wanna go in?" Danny asks me, looking at a restaurant right in front of us. I look around. Vintage style, looks very nice. I hope the food is as good.

"Sure."

We go into the restaurant and then out to its backyard; where many trees have been planted as well as flowers. Danny orders a lot of food.

"Gotta have all those appetizers." he tells me.

I let him choose all the food. In many restaurants in Lebanon, there are dishes for more than one person in addition to the single dishes. For example, in our case, we order some appetizers as well as Tawouk platter for two. Tawouk and -what the Lebanese call- Lahme Meshwiyeh (or, what we know as Kebab), are the Sundays' barbecues of the Lebanese people. Except that today is Saturday and we are not with our Lebanese families because they live other places. Or because they are not Lebanese.

Everything tastes great. We eat silently, but happily. Both of us have had a long day and both of us really needed to eat. Slowly, the restaurant starts filling with more and more people. Until it becomes completely full.

The loud laughs and jokes can be easily heard. If I spoke and understood their language, I am pretty sure I would have spent the night listening in; trying to understand and know them. It is curiosity for sure that is driving me to learn Arabic. Nothing else.

"So have you made many friends?" Danny asks me.

"There's my roommate. He's cool."

"Aha."

"And there are a couple of girls who approached me a few days ago to add me to the WhatsApp group of the class. They seemed nice. One of them sat next to me in the next class and we chatted a little."

He nods.

"And there is a girl, Meriam. I have spent quite some time with her and a couple of her friends. But I think I ruined it." I laugh.

"Why would you say that?"

"Because I sounded a little racist yesterday?" I say shamefully. "I did not mean it, I swear."

Danny nods in a way that tells me he does not seem to believe me. That I did not mean it.

"Was it really bad?" he asks.

"I guess? I am not sure. I did not mean anything bad, of that I am certain. And had it been anyone other than this girl, I think I would have just let it go. The whole thing as well as the friendship. But Meriam specifically is a nice girl. I enjoy my time with her."

"Okay. Let me stop you right there." He says seriously. "Is it Mariam or Myriam? There is no Meriam. So choose which name it is."

I laugh, knowing that if she was here she would have given me the look again.

"It's the one with an a. Ma-Mariam." I try.

"Cool. Continue please."

"Nothing really. I'm done. If she'll take me back, it would be great. Otherwise I will have to make some new friends." I say this knowing I do not want to make other friends and it is her I am interested in.

"If she'll take me back." Danny repeats after me, laughing.

"Hey Caleb," Danny's eyes lit. "You like to dance?" he asks.

"Who doesn't?"

"Let's go." Danny says getting up from his seat.

I keep sitting.

Danny takes his wallet and his phone and tucks them in his pocket. He puts his jacket on.

"Umm, Danny."

"What? Come on."

"The check?"

"Oh." he notices. "Right." he sits down and starts looking around for a waiter.

I laugh. "Sorry, it is Saturday night. Too excited." he tells me.

I nod, agreeing.

We split the check. Danny and I have agreed a long time ago that we will splitting the check most times because we just go out together too much for him to act all Lebanese. Then we get up.

Danny looks at me with excitement.

"Let's go. I know a great place."

———
Author's note:

Thank you so much for everyone reading and voting. It means more than you can imagine.

Downtown Beirut: