Chapter 10

"Nader, are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"It's been a couple of days that I just feel like you're a little... off."

"No. I'm alright. My parents are just struggling a little, like financially. And it's on my mind the whole time."

Nader and I have become close enough for him to tell me something like that. Nader is an open book anyway. But I am sure sleeping in the same room helps.

"And I am not sure what to do about it or how to help," he continues.

"I think I need to find a job. A part-time job."

"Yeah, sure." I nod, encouraging him. I do not know why he has waited until now to think about this anyway. It sounds a little strange to me that none of the friends I came across has a side job. Except for Mariam, who still takes money from her parents and saves the ones that she earns for her travels, as she told me. And Nader made it clear since day one that his parents were not doing well. So I wonder why he waited so long and acted as if this is unexpected.

"Not sure where to look." he thinks out loud.

"Anyone you know has a side job and can recommend you to their employer maybe?"

"Not really. Well, I do have friends with jobs. But not side-jobs. No one else is attending college. And they all live in Tripoli. I tried the to apply for the work study program here, but they do not pay well."

I listen carefully. I wish I was able to help. But I'm the new guy here afterall.

But maybe I can.

"You could share that you are available for private tutoring! You said you did very well at school which is why you gained this scholarship, no?" I say proudly, remembering that the side-job that Mariam does is tutoring.

"You're right." Nader's voice is full of excitement. "This could be the best thing for me to do. And I love it, as well. Thank you, Caleb."

I finish dressing up and leave for my class. For this weekend, Danny and I have not made any plans yet, but I am sure we will.

Last night, after going to my room at night, I followed Mariam on Instagram and she followed me back. I started scrolling through her pictures. I found many photos of her with her family. I found a few of her alone or with friends. And I found a couple of three photos of her with the veiled girl I saw with her the last day. They seem like very good friends. I click on her tag and try to check her photos out, but her account is private. I moved on.

After my class, I text Mariam for the first time.

Hello. Any suggestions as to how to spend the weekend?

Things are pretty friendly between us.

I can sure give you a list to check out. You make your own plan though. Do you have company?

I do. Daniel will be with me almost all weekend. Yet I wonder why she asked. Was she going to suggest accompanying me?

I do. Danny's going to be my ride and my company.

I do not hear back from her until around midnight. Right before I finish studying and packing up my books and pc.

Here's a list of what you can do:

1- You can go to Harissa in the afternoon. Use the cable car to end up next to Our Lady of Harissa. Check the amazing scenery. If the weather allows, you can do paragliding on the mountain. And from there, you will find the best local places to sit at with the same view and to have the most traditional dishes and dinner. They usually have a chimney on and they make grills on it. I think you would love it.

And the text continues. And the list goes on. There are around eight full day plans that Mariam suggests. Each one described in full details and accompanied with pictures. I appreciate her effort and am happy to have asked for something that she seems quite interested in. I remember she told me once, when we were studying together with the group, that she was finding it hard to concentrate because she really wanted to go out "somewhere far", she said. And I asked what does "somewhere far" mean and she said "just a long car ride and a random place with random new faces".

I decide to go by number. And I text Danny about it. So we set a plan to go to Harissa tomorrow.

———
Author's note:

Hello. Hope you are doing well.

Harissa:

Harissa Cable Car:

Harissa Cable Car:

Harissa Restaurants:

Our Lady of Harissa (St

Our Lady of Harissa (St. Mary's Shrine):

What do you think? Is this becoming more exciting already? Would love to hear your feedback

Yara