Chapter 9

I thought about calling Mariam in the weekend, as well as yesterday. But we have never spoken over the phone yet and I did not want to seem rude. It just felt wrong to call her.

Nevertheless, when I saw her today morning in the class, I wished I did.

She said Hi quickly when she came in. But she came in right on time and the professor was already writing on the board, as usual. I did not have the chance to talk to her, nor to apologize.

The girl who had added me to the WhatsApp group, Farah, comes and sits next to me every Tuesday and Thursday during this class. She talks to me, she asks how I am. She is nice. And she keeps me company.

I am redirected back to earth when the professor mentions that the class is finished for today and he will see us on Thursday.

Farah turns around to me before packing up her things.

"How are you finding this course? Easy? Tough?" she asks.

"Fine, I guess."

"I've seen all of this material before. I worked on a project that I needed to have all this information for. So really, if you need anything, I'm your guy."

"Thank you, truly. That is very nice of you."

Farah, I have been told, is one of the smartest people here. She is always getting the highest grades and has been listed as the first one on the Honour's List for most of her semesters. She told me once that she dreams of pursuing her studies in one of the top universities in the world. And that she has been working on it since her first year.

I wish I knew what I wanted to do after I am done. And I wish I was as determinate to get it.

But all I have planned for now is to finish this semester here and go back home for my senior year. After that year, I do not really know what I will be doing.

Farah finishes packing up and stands up.

I am trying to look around to see if Mariam left, but all the students are up and walking and I cannot see her.

"Caleb."

"Yes?" I look back at Farah.

"I noticed that you have a break after this class. I do too. Would you like to hang out for a bit?"

"I would love to. But to be honest, I have promised my friend to join him for breakfast. We do that on Tuesdays, it seems. Maybe another time?" I try to sound gentle.

She nods.

"Or maybe you can join us? If you'd like that, of course."

Farah's eyes lit. She nods happily. I text Danny quickly and turn my face back up to check again for Mariam. I want to apologize. I need to. But when I look up, none other than Farah and I were left in the room.

"Shit." I say under my breath.

"What was that?" Farah asks.

"Nothing. Sorry. Let's go."

When we sit down for breakfast, Danny and Farah recognize each other from a class they took together the previous semester.

"You were the one with the hundreds when all of us failed." Danny said.

"We kind of hated you." he added.

"Normally." she answered laughing.

The breakfast goes smoothly. Every now and then, I look at my watch. I do not know why I am in a rush. I will not be texting Mariam even if I leave right now. However, we did meet half an hour last time before the class. And I keep wondering if she will be there early today too.